Author Topic: Faster Image browsing and image generation  (Read 3823 times)

Offline dbecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Faster Image browsing and image generation
« on: June 18, 2007, 05:33:32 PM »
Are there certain things we can do to speed up thumbnail generation and the previewing of images?  I am noticing with the larger file sizes on the Mark III cameras a slow down in editing.  I would love to be able to speed through many images when editing in the preview mode.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Faster Image browsing and image generation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
Are there certain things we can do to speed up thumbnail generation and the previewing of images?  I am noticing with the larger file sizes on the Mark III cameras a slow down in editing.  I would love to be able to speed through many images when editing in the preview mode.

When you have more megapixels (10 MP vs 8 MP) it will be slower, all things being equal.

There are some things that can be done in the settings to increase efficiency, but nothing will work miracles.  Generally when you upgrade to a new generation of camera you'll likewise need to upgrade to a newer computer to experience the same speed (or better) with the new images.

That said, if you can tell me about your system I can recommend settings:

What OS are you running?
How much RAM do you have?
What type of CPU do you have (PowerPC, Intel, AMD, and let me know the model name, like G4, Pentium4, Core Duo, etc.)
What is the speed of the CPU?
How many CPUs do you have?
Do you run several other applications at the same as Photo Mechanic?

Answer those questions and I'll recommend settings.

-Kirk

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 03:55:44 PM »
I could use some advice on proper settings, too.  I am also experiencing slow generation of thumbnail previews.

My system:
Intel Pentium 4, 1.9 GHz; single processor
1 GB RAM
Win XP Pro
Program is loaded on c: drive, all images kept on separate internal hard drive
Other apps running at same time: Nikon Capture NX (although I experience slow thumbnail generation even without NX running), Norton Anti Virus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »
I could use some advice on proper settings, too.  I am also experiencing slow generation of thumbnail previews.

My system:
Intel Pentium 4, 1.9 GHz; single processor
1 GB RAM
Win XP Pro
Program is loaded on c: drive, all images kept on separate internal hard drive
Other apps running at same time: Nikon Capture NX (although I experience slow thumbnail generation even without NX running), Norton Anti Virus

I would recommend getting more RAM on your system (2 GB will help), but having a dual core system with at least 2GB really makes PM fly.

What are your current Caching settings (Preferences->Caching)?

-Kirk