Author Topic: Ingest Dialog Features  (Read 9293 times)

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
Ingest Dialog Features
« on: June 18, 2007, 06:02:27 PM »
A few minor things that might help with the Ingest Dialog...

(1) Would it be possible to show the disk volume name in addition to the drive letter? If the volume does not have a label, the drive might. On Windows, drives can be "renamed" and this name is accessible via the Windows registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\<driveletter>\DefaultLabel. With multiple media card "drives", it would be much easier to decide which drive to select if a name was also displayed. BTW, I'm not suggesting you create these drive labels, but if they exist in the registry it would seem to be a nice idea to utilize them. Ideally, the disk volume label could be shown, and if it is empty and a drive label exists it could be shown instead. Perhaps there could even be reason to show both names.

(2) It would be nice if we could define our own captions for the User/Client Custom Fields (User1-3,Client1-3). These probably could just be configured under Edit > Preferences.

(3) It would be good if we could specify Job fields which must be filled-in before starting an injest. If we use job variables as part of a folder and/or file name (or even for IPTC fields) it would be better if the system would not let us start the ingest if these are blank. Perhaps if we pressed "shift" (windows) on the Job page the "OK" button could change to "Options" and lead to a "Required Field" page much like the "Clear IPTC Fields" setup page accessible from the IPTC Stationery Pad.

(4) Is there a way in which we could configure ingest to ignore some files on cards? I have files in the root of the card (e.g. autorun.inf, image.ico) which get imported during an ingest. Perhaps we could have an option to skip files in the drive root, or even the ability to list specific file extensions, paths and/or filenames to be skipped.

Thanks,
Ian
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 06:08:23 PM by IanGoldstein »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest Dialog Features
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »
A few minor things that might help with the Ingest Dialog...

(1) Would it be possible to show the disk volume name in addition to the drive letter? If the volume does not have a label, the drive might. On Windows, drives can be "renamed" and this name is accessible via the Windows registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\<driveletter>\DefaultLabel. With multiple media card "drives", it would be much easier to decide which drive to select if a name was also displayed. BTW, I'm not suggesting you create these drive labels, but if they exist in the registry it would seem to be a nice idea to utilize them. Ideally, the disk volume label could be shown, and if it is empty and a drive label exists it could be shown instead. Perhaps there could even be reason to show both names.

I can definitely see showing the drive labels.  I'll think about the DefaultLabel stuff...

Quote from: IanGoldstein
(2) It would be nice if we could define our own captions for the User/Client Custom Fields (User1-3,Client1-3). These probably could just be configured under Edit > Preferences.

I'm not sure quite what you mean here?  Something more than text?

](3) It would be good if we could specify Job fields which must be filled-in before starting an injest. If we use job variables as part of a folder and/or file name (or even for IPTC fields) it would be better if the system would not let us start the ingest if these are blank. Perhaps if we pressed "shift" (windows) on the Job page the "OK" button could change to "Options" and lead to a "Required Field" page much like the "Clear IPTC Fields" setup page accessible from the IPTC Stationery Pad.

Or what if they haven't changed and you would want to be reminded that they need to change?

(4) Is there a way in which we could configure ingest to ignore some files on cards? I have files in the root of the card (e.g. autorun.inf, image.ico) which get imported during an ingest. Perhaps we could have an option to skip files in the drive root, or even the ability to list specific file extensions, paths and/or filenames to be skipped.

I've thought about some sort of pattern matching scheme, like *.ico or *.inf but I don't want it to be too hard/computery for people to use.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:59:19 PM »

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

On the "Set User/Client Variables" Dialog there are 3 custom fields for the User, and 3 custom fields for the Client. The text labels next to the fields are "User 1:", "User 2:", etc. I'm referring to the text beside the entry fields on the dialog. It would be nice to customize the form itself to show our own text to remind us what we are using a specific field for.  The data itself would still remain text fields as they are now, and the variables would remain the same {usercustom1}, {usercustom2}, etc.

-Ian

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 05:01:20 PM by IanGoldstein »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 05:06:05 PM »
Ian,

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

On the "Set User/Client Variables" Dialog there are 3 custom fields for the User, and 3 custom fields for the Client. The text labels next to the fields are "User 1:", "User 2:", etc. I'm referring to the text beside the entry fields on the dialog. It would be nice to customize the form itself to show our own text to remind us what we are using a specific field for.  The data itself would still remain text fields as they are now, and the variables would remain the same {usercustom1}, {usercustom2}, etc.

I see. Well, there isn't a whole lot of room for exposition.  So this Options idea you had would also be the place where you could edit these labels?

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 05:16:53 PM »
(3) It would be good if we could specify Job fields which must be filled-in before starting an injest. If we use job variables as part of a folder and/or file name (or even for IPTC fields) it would be better if the system would not let us start the ingest if these are blank. Perhaps if we pressed "shift" (windows) on the Job page the "OK" button could change to "Options" and lead to a "Required Field" page much like the "Clear IPTC Fields" setup page accessible from the IPTC Stationery Pad.

Or what if they haven't changed and you would want to be reminded that they need to change?

Good point. Perhaps the ability to specify fields to be automatically cleared (when ingest is selected) and fields that must be filled before an injest can start?

Quote from: Kirk Baker

I've thought about some sort of pattern matching scheme, like *.ico or *.inf but I don't want it to be too hard/computery for people to use.

I don't see that to be too hard to understand for most PM users. Also, not everyone would need to use such features, but if/when they do they would probably really appreciate them. 

-Ian

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 05:25:16 PM »
I see. Well, there isn't a whole lot of room for exposition.  So this Options idea you had would also be the place where you could edit these labels?

Yeah, I noticed there wasn't much room when I quickly grabbed that screen shot and circled the fields in Photoshop. Probably enough room for maybe 6-7 chars at most, but it would have to do.

As for where to edit it...could be somewhere in Preferences as I don't see that it would be something that would need to change much. Alternatively, an Options page where you can set required fields, etc. would be a good place for it as well.

Again, these aren't high priority items for me, just small ideas that I thought might make PM even more customizable.

-Ian
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 06:13:19 AM by IanGoldstein »