Author Topic: avoiding conflicts with Bridge  (Read 8267 times)

Offline rnaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
avoiding conflicts with Bridge
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:54:41 AM »
This Morning I edited, added IPTC, and renamed in PM. Then I made sidecar files in Adobe Bridge. Then I deleted some of the images in Bridge. Then I went back into PM and renamed so that I wouldn't have missing numbers. When I ran the dng converter, I discovered that many of the images looked like they hadn't been adjusted in Bridge. In PM preferences, should I make read sidecar files something that PM does first? If I am using Bridge in conjunction with PM, how would it be best to set up IPTC/xmp preferences?

Mac OS 10.4.4 2.7 dual

Thanks,

Richard Anderson

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: avoiding conflicts with Bridge
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 09:11:30 AM »
This Morning I edited, added IPTC, and renamed in PM. Then I made sidecar files in Adobe Bridge. Then I deleted some of the images in Bridge. Then I went back into PM and renamed so that I wouldn't have missing numbers. When I ran the dng converter, I discovered that many of the images looked like they hadn't been adjusted in Bridge. In PM preferences, should I make read sidecar files something that PM does first? If I am using Bridge in conjunction with PM, how would it be best to set up IPTC/xmp preferences?

Mac OS 10.4.4 2.7 dual

Firstly, please get 10.4.6 since it has many improvements over 10.4.4 including the enabling of RAW processing in Photo Mechanic 4.4.3.

As for your issue, I am guessing that Bridge has cached information about your photos, but basically I would need the entire set of steps to follow in order to really see what is going on.

-Kirk

Offline rnaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:56:13 AM »
I'm sorry- I had updated to 10.4.6 after the CD burn issue. should I try changing the preferences to read sidecar files first? The steps were that I applied my camera RAW defaults to all files, then I adjusted some files for color balance and exposure. As I was doing this, I deleted about 4 files. Then I put the whole folder back into PM and reenamed. Another odd thing is that about a dozen images got rotated as well as losing their connection to the sidecar info.

I redid the work in Bridge, reran dng converter, and everything is fine. Maybe its not a good idea to delete in Bridge and then rename in PM, although I thought I had done that before with no problems.

Richard

Offline rnaphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 11:34:39 AM »
Kirk-

Just did a re-test. Try this, ingest a card of files. Rename the files in PM. Put the renamed files in Adobe Bridge. Select all. Move the saturation slider to 0 so all files are Black & White. Now delete a few files. Now put all the files back into PM. Rename. Put the files back into Bridge. What I get are 3 files that reverted to color in Bridge, and 13 files that became rotated- both horizontals[becoming vertical] and verticals[becoming horizontal] I notice that Bridge did not delete the .xmp files that belonged to the deleted files. I did not run the files through the dng converter this time, so this has nothing to do with the .dng converter- this is some kind of conflict between Bridge/.xmp sidecar files, and PM. I should mention that I have the ACR preference set to save image settings in sidecar[.xmp]files, and the Bridge preference set to use distributed cache files when possible.

Mac OS 10.4.6, 2.7 dual

Richard Anderson

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 05:53:44 PM »
Kirk-

Just did a re-test. Try this, ingest a card of files. Rename the files in PM. Put the renamed files in Adobe Bridge. Select all. Move the saturation slider to 0 so all files are Black & White. Now delete a few files. Now put all the files back into PM. Rename. Put the files back into Bridge. What I get are 3 files that reverted to color in Bridge, and 13 files that became rotated- both horizontals[becoming vertical] and verticals[becoming horizontal] I notice that Bridge did not delete the .xmp files that belonged to the deleted files. I did not run the files through the dng converter this time, so this has nothing to do with the .dng converter- this is some kind of conflict between Bridge/.xmp sidecar files, and PM. I should mention that I have the ACR preference set to save image settings in sidecar[.xmp]files, and the Bridge preference set to use distributed cache files when possible.

Here are the settings you should use to maximize compatibility with Bridge/ACR:

[attachment deleted by admin]