Author Topic: Ingesting multiple shoots on one card  (Read 13261 times)

Offline jbuttel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting multiple shoots on one card
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:44:42 PM »
I frequently end up with more than one shoot (group of photos) on a card.  When I use the ingest dialog, I have to ingest the whole card, and then go back and adjust the directory names, files names, and IPTC data for any shoots on the card that don't conform.
I end up using the "copy photos" dialog when I have a card with multiple shoots.  However, the copy photos dialog is missing some of the nice features of the ingest dialog.  In particular I miss the ability to name the destination folder and path with variables.

It would be nice if the ingest dialog had an "ingest only selected option" or
if the copy photos dialog had all the options of the ingest dialog or
if there were a "copy and ingest" menu item that allowed a selection of images to be ingested, with all the ingest options or
if i am being really stupid and there is already an elegant way to ingest multiple shoots and you could explain.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting multiple shoots on one card
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:28:07 PM »
I frequently end up with more than one shoot (group of photos) on a card.  When I use the ingest dialog, I have to ingest the whole card, and then go back and adjust the directory names, files names, and IPTC data for any shoots on the card that don't conform.
I end up using the "copy photos" dialog when I have a card with multiple shoots.  However, the copy photos dialog is missing some of the nice features of the ingest dialog.  In particular I miss the ability to name the destination folder and path with variables.

It would be nice if the ingest dialog had an "ingest only selected option" or
if the copy photos dialog had all the options of the ingest dialog or
if there were a "copy and ingest" menu item that allowed a selection of images to be ingested, with all the ingest options or
if i am being really stupid and there is already an elegant way to ingest multiple shoots and you could explain.

How about the last one?  (But you're not being stupid.) ;)

Many people shoot different jobs on different days, and unless you shot more than one shoot in a given day on a single card, then the following may be of help:

You can use variables in the "Folder Name:" text field.  So since we're stipulating that multiple shoots are not occurring on a single day, the use of date-related variables will organize your photos, like so:

Enter the following into the "Folder Name:" text field: {year4}/{month0}/{day0}

All photos shot in the same year, month, and day will reside in the same folder.

Now, if that isn't good enough, we have talked about having an option to "Ingest from selection" where you would browse your card, select your images, and then Ingest the selected photos.  Not sure when we'll start that one.  Would depend on customer demand.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 06:31:07 AM »
If I shoot more than one shoot in one day, I create a folder in the camera for each shoot.
Then I can ingest them all at once and have them separated in folders.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 07:20:50 AM »
If I shoot more than one shoot in one day, I create a folder in the camera for each shoot.
Then I can ingest them all at once and have them separated in folders.

Good point Søren.  You can preserve the parent folders while ingesting by changing the "Source Directory Structure:" popup to read: "keep separate source folder names only".  Here is an excerpt from the manual:

Keep Separate Source Folder Names Only : This is a little more complex but removes the DCIM folder and keeps images grouped within the second level folders if there are more than one.

Example 1 : A card with a DCIM folder containing 1 folder (canon101) which itself contains images would result in those images being copied to a single destination folder. The DCIM and canon101 folders are removed.

Example 2 : A card with a DCIM folder containing 2 or more folders (canon101, canon102, etc.) each containing images would result in all the canonxxx folders being preserved in the destination folder.

In a nutshell, this option removes the DCIM folder and keeps images grouped in the same folders as on the card. If there is only one folder, this is removed. If there is more than one, all of them are preserved.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jbuttel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:40:49 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your quick response.  As I understand it, I can preserve the folders I created on the camera, but I cannot apply different IPTC stationary to the different folders, nor can I rename the folders based on variables, in particular {jobname}.

It does look like I could choose "ingest folders" instead of "ingest disks" and accomplish what I want - as long as I am disciplined about creating folders each time I start a shoot - which in my case is not necessarily guaranteed.

Jeff

Offline denisbalibouse

• View Profile
    • Display of my work
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 11:56:21 PM »
Now, if that isn't good enough, we have talked about having an option to "Ingest from selection" where you would browse your card, select your images, and then Ingest the selected photos.  Not sure when we'll start that one.  Would depend on customer demand.

I would love that.
As i don not wish my pictures to be erased in the computer after ingesting I very often put back the card in the camera and start shooting again straight away (soccer crazy time) and then end up with a lot of double pictures in the folder.
I would love to be able to browse on the card, even very small thumbnails

cheers

Denis

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 02:32:03 AM »
As i don not wish my pictures to be erased in the computer after ingesting I very often put back the card in the camera and start shooting again straight away (soccer crazy time) and then end up with a lot of double pictures in the folder.

Check the "ingest new photos only" box in the ingest dialog and you will avoid this problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:31:56 AM »

Check the "ingest new photos only" box in the ingest dialog and you will avoid this problem.

Sam is right.  Just set the checkbox titled "Incremental Ingest: copy new photos only" and you will automatically get only the new files.  Ingest always keeps track of what you have ingested on a given card (until you format it) so you can start ingesting with the checkbox off, and later turn it on and PM will still do the right thing.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 10:01:28 AM »
I'd like to add my vote to the request for an "Ingest Selected" option. This would eliminate a lot of post ingesting work, as well as permit discreet application of teh Stationery pad to the selected photos. It would be a great timesaver.

Nikon Pucture Project allows this kind of pre-copy browsing, and it is a handy feature.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 10:44:57 AM »
Mick,

I'd like to add my vote to the request for an "Ingest Selected" option. This would eliminate a lot of post ingesting work, as well as permit discreet application of teh Stationery pad to the selected photos. It would be a great timesaver.

Nikon Pucture Project allows this kind of pre-copy browsing, and it is a handy feature.

Ingest from Selection is planned for 4.5.x...

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 04:14:07 AM »

-Kirk

Obviously it would be great if this could work from the hard drive as well as PC cards...
I'm ready for 4.5 whenever you are Kirk...

Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 06:55:57 AM »
Obviously it would be great if this could work from the hard drive as well as PC cards...
I'm ready for 4.5 whenever you are Kirk...

It starts from a Contact Sheet.  It does not matter where the Contact Sheet is opened from.  CF Card, Local HD, Network drive...  It doesn't matter.

That's the plan.  The feature hasn't been written yet though and that's why I mentioned 4.5.x as the version number.

-Kirk