Author Topic: Selecting images for side by side compare in Preview  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Checkerbox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Selecting images for side by side compare in Preview
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:47:48 AM »
When I edit images in PM, I typically open Preview and scroll through the images one at a time, applying star ratings to each.

Sometimes I want to compare the image I'm looking at with the one next to it. So I click the "compare side-by-side" button -- and the side-by-side comparison opens prefilled with the last two images I compared. In order to see the current ones, I have to scroll the thumbnail list back to where I started.

Am I missing something here? Is there an easy way to say, "open side-by-side preview, and use the current image as one of the images"?

-Jonathan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Selecting images for side by side compare in Preview
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 11:06:06 AM »
Jonathan,

When I edit images in PM, I typically open Preview and scroll through the images one at a time, applying star ratings to each.

Sometimes I want to compare the image I'm looking at with the one next to it. So I click the "compare side-by-side" button -- and the side-by-side comparison opens prefilled with the last two images I compared. In order to see the current ones, I have to scroll the thumbnail list back to where I started.

Am I missing something here? Is there an easy way to say, "open side-by-side preview, and use the current image as one of the images"?

What OS are you running?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

-Kirk

Offline Checkerbox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
WinXP, PM v4.5.1.1

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 05:15:31 PM »
WinXP, PM v4.5.1.1

Ok, now tell me the set of steps I need to perform in order to reproduce your issue, please.

-Kirk

Offline Tir

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
This post is extremely old, but still relevant to my experience so I don't think I should start a new thread. I'm having the same trouble, it really kills my efficiency in culling images.

Say I'm flicking through images in preview mode, rating, tagging etc. I want to compare two images from the same burst of shots for sharpness to cull one.

First time I do this in a session by hitting V, it will open the side by side windows. The image I had selected will be in one, and the other will be blank, and I can click that and then click the image next to my selection that I want to compare. That's fine. I tag the one I like and go back to full view with O and continue.

But then, say a few dozen photos later, I get up to another photo I want to compare to one next to it from another burst of shots. Well this time I hit V - the one I had selected will of course be on one side, but the other side contains the photo from ages ago that I don't need any more. The problem is when I click the half I want to change, the bottom strip of images will jump back a few dozen photos to the left, and then I have to fiddle around with scrolling back to the right to try and find the photo that was right next to the one I originally had selected, which is often slow, confusing and disorientating with many similar shots.

Is there no simple way to tell PM which two I want to compare?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:01:22 AM »
What would you prefer it do with the second pane?  Have it be empty?  Have it fill itself with the next image in the series or the previous image in the series?

-Kirk