Author Topic: Long time loading  (Read 3098 times)

Offline dwbfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Long time loading
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:10:58 AM »
It takes a full minute (or more) for PM to open on my computer. Is this normal? If not, how can I shorten the time? (I don't think it used to take this long.) I'm using 4.4.3.3 on a PC running WinXPMC, with a Core-Duo processor. I've added a second hard drive and that helped Photoshop CS run better; is this something like this to help PM?  thanx  Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Long time loading
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 08:48:18 AM »
Dave,

It takes a full minute (or more) for PM to open on my computer. Is this normal? If not, how can I shorten the time? (I don't think it used to take this long.) I'm using 4.4.3.3 on a PC running WinXPMC, with a Core-Duo processor. I've added a second hard drive and that helped Photoshop CS run better; is this something like this to help PM?  thanx 

It is likely that the slow startup is caused by the Navigator.  If you disable the Navigator from the View menu, it may speed things up quite a bit.

In version 4.5.1.1 there is a new Navigator that should not have any of the issues that plagued the old Navigator.  You may be eligible for a free upgrade to 4.5.x depending on when you purchased Photo Mechanic.  You can use the Software Update... menu item on the Help menu to check for the latest version you are eligible to run with your current license.

-Kirk

Offline dwbfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »
What is the "navigator" in PM? What will disabling it do?  thanx

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:13:21 AM »
What is the "navigator" in PM? What will disabling it do?  thanx

It's the panel on the side that allows you to navigate through the drives and folders on your system.

-Kirk