Author Topic: Open nef file in Camera Raw  (Read 2845 times)

Offline kwschang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Open nef file in Camera Raw
« on: June 28, 2007, 08:51:31 AM »
If Photoshop is closed and I open a nef file through PM Default Editing Application, Photoshop opens in Camera Raw. This is what I want.
When I finish processing the subject image, I save it and the close the file leaving Photoshop open.
When I proceed to open another nef file in Photoshop through PM, it opens in Photoshop, not Camera Raw.
This is an every time occurrence.
To process the second nef file in Camera Raw, I must first close Photoshop. Then when I proceed to open this same nef file in Photoshop it will open in Camera Raw.
Any of you experiencing the same phenomenon? Am I missing a preference or something?
Incidentally, I experience the same when opening through Expression Media. However, if I open through Bridge, I open in Camera Raw every time.
Thank you,
Kenneth Schang

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Open nef file in Camera Raw
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
Kenneth,

If Photoshop is closed and I open a nef file through PM Default Editing Application, Photoshop opens in Camera Raw. This is what I want.
When I finish processing the subject image, I save it and the close the file leaving Photoshop open.
When I proceed to open another nef file in Photoshop through PM, it opens in Photoshop, not Camera Raw.
This is an every time occurrence.
To process the second nef file in Camera Raw, I must first close Photoshop. Then when I proceed to open this same nef file in Photoshop it will open in Camera Raw.
Any of you experiencing the same phenomenon? Am I missing a preference or something?
Incidentally, I experience the same when opening through Expression Media. However, if I open through Bridge, I open in Camera Raw every time.

I have not experienced this issue myself, but I would expect it to be an issue with your particular installation of Photoshop.  The likely reason why Bridge continues to work is that there is some sort of special communication method that the two programs use that is not publicly available to third parties like ourselves.

What happens if you use drag and drop from an OS window (Finder/Windows Explorer) onto the running Photoshop application?

-Kirk

Offline kwschang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Open nef file in Camera Raw
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:16:50 AM »
Kirk:
If I use drag and drop a second image from PM to the PS Icon in my Mac Dock (with PS open), the second image will open in Camera Raw.
This is the behavior I want.
Thank you for your assistance.
Ken