Author Topic: RAW files sometimes open directly into Photoshop  (Read 9712 times)

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
RAW files sometimes open directly into Photoshop
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »
hi there,

when hitting command+E RAW files will sometimes open up directly into Photoshop bypassing ACR. I don't think this is a Photomechanic specific issue, rather something going on with Adobe. Does anyone else have this problem and found a workaround to this? I tried calling Adobe about this, but they're clueless.

Cheers

Christian

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
Re: RAW files sometimes open directly into Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 04:11:43 AM »
Nobody else has this problem?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 06:07:49 AM »
Sounds really weird to me; PhotoShop can not handle RAW files directly, it needs ACR for that.  Are you sure the files in particular are really RAW files and not some other format with a different filename extension?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 12:02:46 PM »
Christian,

Perhaps if these are Photoshop's original .RAW format which isn't a camera "RAW" file but just raw pixel data.

It would help to know what files these are (e.g. NEF, CR2) and what version of PS you have, but obviously this is Adobe's domain and they should be able to answer this question for you.

What happens if you just double-click on one of these files in the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer (or drag one onto Photoshop)?

--dennis

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:09:13 PM »
they are CR2's. They open directly into PS (CS3 on a Mac).

ACR seems to somehow run in the background and the files open directly, albeit processed, into Photoshop. Yes, the same happens in Bridge and the Finder. The way I can have them open into ACR is by relaunching Photoshop and then it will do it for the first few, but after that they go straight into PS.

I'm asking the question here, because a) I'm frustrated with this and b) Adobe can't come up with an answer and c) I'm trying to see if anyone else had this issue and found a viable workaround to this. (I keep thinking that this is a preference that I didn't set right)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 07:23:38 PM »
they are CR2's. They open directly into PS (CS3 on a Mac).

ACR seems to somehow run in the background and the files open directly, albeit processed, into Photoshop. Yes, the same happens in Bridge and the Finder. The way I can have them open into ACR is by relaunching Photoshop and then it will do it for the first few, but after that they go straight into PS.

I'm asking the question here, because a) I'm frustrated with this and b) Adobe can't come up with an answer and c) I'm trying to see if anyone else had this issue and found a viable workaround to this. (I keep thinking that this is a preference that I didn't set right)

I would try posting on Adobe's forums next if no one else replies here.  I would expect that you're not the only one having this problem and that someone there may have solved the issue already.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:56:48 PM »
Maybe there is some flag in the XMP sidecar that is telling ACR to process automatically?

Try renaming one of the XMP sidecar files temporarily and see if that changes the behavior.

Or maybe it is a droplet that is being invoked?

Disclaimer: I don't use ACR so I am probably the last person to be suggesting ideas here  ;)

--dennis

Offline pcalvin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • petercalvin.com
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »
Is it possible that you are shooting RAW + JPEG and it is opening the jpegs?

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »
Dennis - I think you're onto something here. The problem could be rooted in the XMP sidecar file. How would one get flagged though?

We store our RAW and processed Jpg together with the xmp sidecar file.

Kirk - I know this is probably more of an Adobe issue and I will post this question there as well. However, all of our files pass through Photomechanic initially and I'm wondering if it hasn't anything to do with that.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 11:58:41 AM »
Dennis - I think you're onto something here. The problem could be rooted in the XMP sidecar file. How would one get flagged though?

We store our RAW and processed Jpg together with the xmp sidecar file.

Kirk - I know this is probably more of an Adobe issue and I will post this question there as well. However, all of our files pass through Photomechanic initially and I'm wondering if it hasn't anything to do with that.

Did you try renaming your XMP sidecar file to see if the issue goes away?  Just curious.

PM doesn't modify any of the ACR data in the XMP file.  It just preserves it as is and only edits the IPTC4XMP data.

-Kirk

Offline ocris1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 06:10:16 PM »
Just got an answer by Jeff Schewe on the Adobe forums and he thinks it has to do with the Photokit plugin. We did some preliminary testing with an updated version of it and it looks like the issue went away. Thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot this.