Author Topic: {program} Variable Issue  (Read 6461 times)

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
{program} Variable Issue
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:26:12 PM »
I am running Photo Mecahnic v4.5.2 Beta 0628 under Windows.

It seems the {program} variable is incorrectly returning "F-ED" for some images which actually have "Aperture Priority" stored in their EXIF data. I believe it was returning the correct info in v4.5.1.1.  At first glance it looks like it occurs for only for images shot with specific lenses, but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern yet.

I have checked the images with ExifTool and the data is correct in the image file.

-Ian
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:37:52 PM by IanGoldstein »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: {program} Variable Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »
Ian,

I am running Photo Mecahnic v4.5.2 Beta 0628 under Windows.

It seems the {program} variable is incorrectly returning "F-ED" for some images which actually have "Aperture Priority" stored in their EXIF data. I believe it was returning the correct info in v4.5.1.1.  At first glance it looks like it occurs for only for images shot with specific lenses, but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern yet.

I have checked the images with ExifTool and the data is correct in the image file.

Dennis will take a look at it on Monday.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:14:33 PM »
Dennis will take a look at it on Monday.

I see that this is still a problem with the latest beta. Has the cause of this problem been determined yet?

-Ian

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:08:03 AM »
Ian,

Thanks for the head's up again!  I like it :) when people post details about the problem, like maybe the lens may be affecting the results of the {program} variable - not a logical conclusion unless you consider the "...F-ED" detail you mentioned that helped me to find the likely source of the problem.  You wouldn't happen to be using a VR lens like the 18-200mm, 70-300mm etc would you (or any lens that ExifTool reports as LensType=0xE)?  If so it is fixed.

--dennis

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:08:07 AM »
Dennis,

Yes, it appeared to be happening with the Nikon AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens, but not with some others.

As for providing details about the problem, I can empathize. I have a few IT support clients that will just call and complain that their "computer isn't working" or their "phones are having problems".  Details seem to elude them. Ironically, most of their issues are typically found to be user errors.

-Ian