Author Topic: Add sharpening option to email menu  (Read 5857 times)

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Luminescence of Nature Photograpy
Add sharpening option to email menu
« on: June 30, 2007, 06:13:21 AM »
I love being able to use Photo Mechanic to email small JPEGs from my raw files.  I'd like to see the "sharpen" function added to the email options, similar to how it is employed in the Export dialog (for web galleries).

Regards,
Jason Odell
www.luminescentphoto.com
Jason P. Odell
Photographer and author in Colorado, USA
www.luminescentphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Add sharpening option to email menu
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:48:55 AM »
Jason,

I love being able to use Photo Mechanic to email small JPEGs from my raw files.  I'd like to see the "sharpen" function added to the email options, similar to how it is employed in the Export dialog (for web galleries).

I'll see if I can get that in for the 4.5.2 update.

-Kirk

Offline drjay32

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Luminescence of Nature Photograpy
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:14:26 AM »
Thanks, Kirk!
I just tried it, and it is great.  No more resizing my images in Capture NX just to email them!

-Jason
Jason P. Odell
Photographer and author in Colorado, USA
www.luminescentphoto.com

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:55:12 AM »
Hi Kirk, would you please think about adding the sharpen option to Save As menu as well? If I am using it to generate low-res previews for clients, it would help a lot. Your downsizing algorithms are pretty good at keeping sharpness, but still some added sharpening for that would help - currently I had to save as small tiffs and sharpen them in PS. I am talking about files usually in the 600-800px width. Larger files are ok just with the downsize algorithm. If you implement this, I think the good place where to put the checkbox would be next to Convert to sRGB box ;-)

Thanks Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:07:38 AM »
Frantisek,

Hi Kirk, would you please think about adding the sharpen option to Save As menu as well? If I am using it to generate low-res previews for clients, it would help a lot. Your downsizing algorithms are pretty good at keeping sharpness, but still some added sharpening for that would help - currently I had to save as small tiffs and sharpen them in PS. I am talking about files usually in the 600-800px width. Larger files are ok just with the downsize algorithm. If you implement this, I think the good place where to put the checkbox would be next to Convert to sRGB box ;-)

I agree that it is completely logical to add sharpening to the Save As dialog.  But the reason I haven't added it is because people would like different kinds of sharpening for various kinds of final output.  For instance you may want to sharpen for screen output or for print output.  A generic sharpen setting won't be optimal for both kinds of output.

I plan to add a more full-featured sharpen control to the Save As dialog.

-Kirk