Author Topic: Beta 4.5.2 sound file symbol - Bigger Please...  (Read 4580 times)

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Beta 4.5.2 sound file symbol - Bigger Please...
« on: July 01, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »
Hi Kirk,  (Windows XP)
I know this has been discussed in previous posts, but would it be possible to make the sound file symbol in the new PM 4.5.2 version bigger/bolder in both the thumbnail view and the preview?
Perhaps add an option to allow the symbol to be displayed at larger size?
Or have a keyboard shortcut that upon hitting it, would make the sound file symbols in the active contact sheet flash for a few seconds?
I was recently editing a sports event shot by several photographers, and I kept missing their sound files... (I'd like to think because the sound icon was very small...)

Other than that, I love the new ability to customize the non-selected thumbnail background color.
thanks,
Nati

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Re: Beta 4.5.2 sound file symbol - Bigger Please...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 03:18:37 PM »
Nati,

I had the same issue with the new sound file symbol.  What I ended up doing in my workflow was the following:

1) Add the {sound} variable to the "caption writer" IPTC field (you can use any unused IPTC field).
2) When the ingest if done, do a "find" on "Caption Writer" = 1  (this will be all the images with an associated sound file)
3) At this point, all images that have a sound file associated with them will be highlighted.
4) Set the color code for all selected images to a value you can spot quickly.

My ingest/tech person likes this process better than the bigger sound icons on v4.4.  Easier to spot.

-Mike

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
Mike,
thanks for your suggestion. I was not aware of the {sound} variable, it is a smart solution.
I will try it.
Nati

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 06:50:06 PM »
Nati,

Mike,
thanks for your suggestion. I was not aware of the {sound} variable, it is a smart solution.
I will try it.

You could use the Sort by {sound} sort type which will put all of the images with sounds at the top of the Contact Sheet.  The images without sounds will follow.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:28:41 PM »
Kirk,

Sometimes the sound file is attached to one image in a sequence of photos, but it would not necessarily be attached to the best photo - only to an adjacent photo.
So sorting by sound file could potentially move the sound files farther away from the “good photo” it is supposed to describe.

Mike’s solution works for me because it adds a more visible marker onto the images with sound files, yet keeps the images in order.
If I were to use keyboard shortcuts to implement Mike’s solution, then after each ingest I would have to hit the following keys in quick succession:
1.   Ctrl+F (open the find dialog box)
2.   Enter (to execute the find dialog box)
3.   Escape (to close the find dialog box)
4.   Ctrl+2 (to color code red all the images with sound files that exist in the ingested disk)
And then all images with sound files would be marked with high visibility red

Now I wouldn’t have to do any of the above if the sound file icon was more visible, or…perhaps there was an option to color-code files that have attached sound files….?

Many thanks , Nati