Author Topic: Mac vs. PC using photo mechanic  (Read 5378 times)

Offline dbecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mac vs. PC using photo mechanic
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:07:33 PM »
Hi - I was extremely impressed when using the new macintosh powerbook to edit large volumes of images. The mac seemed to allow me to browse and edit images extremely quick.  The full frame browsing and thumbnail browsing were all much, much faster.  The ingestion seemed much faster as well compared with the PC that I am using.

I know it's tough to compare apples to apples in the PC vs MAC world -- but on average would you say the macintosh is better equipped to handle high volume editing compared with it's equal PC counterparts?

Could you recomend a high perforamce PC laptop that performs well?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mac vs. PC using photo mechanic
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
Hi - I was extremely impressed when using the new macintosh powerbook to edit large volumes of images. The mac seemed to allow me to browse and edit images extremely quick.  The full frame browsing and thumbnail browsing were all much, much faster.  The ingestion seemed much faster as well compared with the PC that I am using.

I know it's tough to compare apples to apples in the PC vs MAC world -- but on average would you say the macintosh is better equipped to handle high volume editing compared with it's equal PC counterparts?

Could you recomend a high perforamce PC laptop that performs well?

Windows should run PM just as well as a Mac as far as image generation and editing goes.  Have you considered just using Mac laptops running Windows XP on Apple's BootCamp?

Then you get the best of both worlds.  And the flexibility to run both OSes.

-Kirk

Offline dbecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »
Right now I have a PC only.  I used my friends new mac laptop and was very impressed with how it operated with PM.  What are the most important factors when getting a new PC laptop so it will run as fast as possible?  Should I max out the processor, harddrive spin speed and ram?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 02:09:16 PM »
Right now I have a PC only.  I used my friends new mac laptop and was very impressed with how it operated with PM.  What are the most important factors when getting a new PC laptop so it will run as fast as possible?  Should I max out the processor, harddrive spin speed and ram?

I'm suggesting that a MacBook Pro is the best Windows PC out there.  All you have to do is install Windows XP or Windows Vista on it.

Beyond that if you're looking for a machine that will only run Windows (or Linux, etc.) and you want to shop around based on specifications, then here are the things that you should consider.

1) Multi-core processor is essential.  The faster the better. Core2Duo processors are really good on laptops.  PM is highly optimized for multi-core or multi-cpu systems.
2) As much RAM as you can afford.  You can bump up the memory cache in PM and get even faster browsing.
3) The fastest bus speed you can find.  In the current crop of systems the bus speed tops out at 667 MHz.  Desktops can go much higher topping out at over 1000 MHz.  PM moves a lot of data from RAM to CPU and back again and the bus speed is the limiting factor here.
4) Good quality video card.  PM draws a lot of graphics and the video card can have a lot of impact on overall performance.
5) Hard drive speed is important, but not nearly as important as the above three items.

Like I said, a MacBook Pro makes an excellent Windows PC.  They have Core2Duo processors, can have up to 4 GB of RAM, have a nice NVidia 8600M video subsystem, and the LED backlit display is nice.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dbecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »
i gotcha...  Is there any benefit to installing Windows XP or Vista on the Mac vs. keeping the mac operating system?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 04:19:38 PM »
i gotcha...  Is there any benefit to installing Windows XP or Vista on the Mac vs. keeping the mac operating system?

It depends on your needs or if you just plain like Windows better.  Otherwise for the occasional need of Windows software you can run Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac OS X which will run Windows XP or Vista at near native speeds.

-Kirk