Author Topic: Email issue with Outlook 2007  (Read 9423 times)

Offline Tall_Paul_2000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Email issue with Outlook 2007
« on: July 05, 2007, 07:30:18 AM »
Afternoon,

I have recently upgraded my email client to Outlook 2007, using windows XP.

Previously, with 4.5.1.1 and outlook 2000 I was having no problems emailing images straight from outlook, however with the new version, I get the error message below:

I've tried using the Trust Center settings to override this however it doesn't make an difference. I send 1 image per email, so if I send a batch of say 10 images, I have to sit and click through 10 of these error messages. If I click on Deny, then I get the MAPI error message that I used to get under version 4.4

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Email issue with Outlook 2007
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 08:45:07 AM »
Paul,

I have recently upgraded my email client to Outlook 2007, using windows XP.

Previously, with 4.5.1.1 and outlook 2000 I was having no problems emailing images straight from outlook, however with the new version, I get the error message below:

I've tried using the Trust Center settings to override this however it doesn't make an difference. I send 1 image per email, so if I send a batch of say 10 images, I have to sit and click through 10 of these error messages. If I click on Deny, then I get the MAPI error message that I used to get under version 4.4

It isn't an error message, it is a security message, and while you cannot avoid it altogether, you can avoid it for ten minutes at a time by checking the "Allow access for" and then changing the popup menu to read "10 minutes".

-Kirk

Offline Tall_Paul_2000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 04:30:30 AM »
Kirk,

Have tried doing that too - and still have to click "allow" on each message/image that I send.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 07:04:48 AM »
Paul,

Have tried doing that too - and still have to click "allow" on each message/image that I send.

Well, that's odd.  I only have to answer that message box once and then I can send dozens of messages without seeing it again.  I wonder what is different about my settings/setup that allows mine to work for the period of time that I choose?

-Kirk

Offline Tall_Paul_2000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »
Kirk,

Not too sure at all what the differences are - curious though.

Paul

[EDIT: I made changes to your message to keep the thread more clear for people who may read this later.]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:38:34 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Tall_Paul_2000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 04:29:17 PM »
As for the email side of things, I'm going to get in touch with microsoft and see what changes I can make in outlook to stop this happening.

[EDIT: I made changes to your message to keep the thread more clear for people who may read this later.]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:38:25 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Tall_Paul_2000

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »
Kirk,

Following up to this, another email issue has arisen.

Again, same set up as above (outlook 07 and 4.5.1.1)......

If I send images in PM via email - it is sending the images as winmail.dat attachments.

I understand that this occurs in Outlook if you are using Rich Text to send the attachment to a MAC. I have followed the procedure on the microsoft website to stop this from happening within Outlook (change individual contact settings to send in plain text).

However, I've tested this tonight and PM still causes this to send as a winmail.dat attachment.

The problem this creates is that when wiring/sending images, any automated picture desks that use macs, aren't seeing my images.

There is a work around, however its not as convenient as sending images from photomechanic.

Any ideas? I'd be very keen to stop this from happening!

Thanks

Paul

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 02:48:02 AM »
If I send images in PM via email - it is sending the images as winmail.dat attachments.

I am also having issues with this.

I had to un-install and go back to ver 4.4 to get it to work properly.

I always had the warning messages and that was not a problem but the winmail.dat problem caused me a fair amount of grief when I had to resend multiple files several times.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »

I am also having issues with this.

I had to un-install and go back to ver 4.4 to get it to work properly.

I always had the warning messages and that was not a problem but the winmail.dat problem caused me a fair amount of grief when I had to resend multiple files several times.

That's odd.  I don't have any such problem when using Outlook 2007 on my system.  My Mac receives the images just fine with Apple's Mail application.  What email application are your clients using on their Macs?

-Kirk

Offline MrMyckster

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 12:45:34 AM »
I am using Windows XP Pro and Outlook or Office 2007. The only virus protection that I am using is Norton 2007.

To be honest with you I have no idea what client or application that the people I was sending the files to were using.

The only information I received from the customer was "I am sorry, I do not have a program that reads .dat files".

At first I thought it was a problem with hotmail because it was a hotmail account. However I got the same reply from other customers that I sent files to that week.

That is when I uninstalled it and went back to the previous version.

M.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 04:11:35 AM »
I am using Windows XP Pro and Outlook or Office 2007. The only virus protection that I am using is Norton 2007.

To be honest with you I have no idea what client or application that the people I was sending the files to were using.

The only information I received from the customer was "I am sorry, I do not have a program that reads .dat files".

At first I thought it was a problem with hotmail because it was a hotmail account. However I got the same reply from other customers that I sent files to that week.

That is when I uninstalled it and went back to the previous version.

Well, in general if I cannot reproduce a problem, I cannot fix it either.  If you can tell me how to reproduce the problem, I will work towards fixing it.

-Kirk