Author Topic: Update IPTC/XMP tool does not update ratings?  (Read 11217 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Update IPTC/XMP tool does not update ratings?
« on: July 06, 2007, 11:38:29 AM »
Is the Update IPTC/XMP tool supposed to update the star and color ratings?  I tried the tool on a D40 and D2X RAW+JPG pair and could not get the star or color ratings from the JPG to transfer to the NEF (the IPTC info was updated correctly).

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Update IPTC/XMP tool does not update ratings?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
Deven,

Is the Update IPTC/XMP tool supposed to update the star and color ratings?  I tried the tool on a D40 and D2X RAW+JPG pair and could not get the star or color ratings from the JPG to transfer to the NEF (the IPTC info was updated correctly).

No, it only updates IPTC and XMP.

Any minor edit like tagging will cause the two files to sync up however.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 04:30:09 PM »
I can't think of any reason (although I'm sure there is one  :)) why one wouldn't want to sync the star and color ratings when syncing the IPTC/XMP info.  If I'm processing 100+ files, I sure wouldn't want to make a minor edit to sync up the ratings ...

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 05:14:24 PM »
Deven,

I can't think of any reason (although I'm sure there is one  :)) why one wouldn't want to sync the star and color ratings when syncing the IPTC/XMP info.  If I'm processing 100+ files, I sure wouldn't want to make a minor edit to sync up the ratings ...

Well, the tool does what it says it does. You had asked if it is supposed to also update image preferences and it does not.

I think if we were to add an option to synchronize image preferences, we should then call the tool something else like "Synchronize metadata..." instead.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
I guess I was under the impression that the star and color ratings were stored in the IPTC/XMP records?  Isn't that how Bridge CS3 can read the star ratings and visa versa?

Deven

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »
Somewhat along the same lines, the Extract Jpg Preview tool does not copy the ratings either to the extracted jpg.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 07:07:13 PM »
Deven,

Somewhat along the same lines, the Extract Jpg Preview tool does not copy the ratings either to the extracted jpg.

That was fixed in the 4.5.2 beta.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 09:59:10 PM »
Hmm, I would certainly also have expected the rating, colour label, etc. to have been updated when you perform an "Update IPTC/XMP" of a RAW+JPG pair; for me those things are also part of the IPTC/XMP info.  Could you perhaps make this an option?

Another thing in this respect: even though I have selected "When viewing photos in RAW+JPG mode use the metadata from the RAW file", the ratings and colour label are taken from the JPG...  This combined with the fact that these aren't synchronised when you perform the IPTC/XMP of the pair, leads to unexpected results.
(Note: using 4.5.1.1)

By the way, so long as you are viewing RAW+JPG pairs, updates to the colour label and rating are synchronised, so for now this is a good work-around to keep them synchronised.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline tepich

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 08:30:52 AM »
I'm currently evaluating PM (4.5.2 RC1), how it would help with my workflow. I like its speed and straightforward usage comparing to the other products. However not being able to update IPTC/XMP ratings from RAW to JPEG degrades otherwise smooth support of my workflow:
I typically ingest RAW files, do initial rating and describing of RAW files (to XMP sidecar), convert RAWs to JPEGs in external RAW converter and finally upload JPEGs to a web gallery.  Ideally, I would like PM to "automatically" update the already existing metadata including ratings from RAWs to new JPEGs just after they appear during the RAW-JPEG conversion (when having RAW+JPEG view mode set?). But because of the two issues described in this topic, it is not even possible to show the ratings from RAW in RAW+JPEG mode nor to batch update it to JPEG.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 12:26:25 AM »
I think what we learn from this is that the IPTC/XMP synchronisation should definitely also synchronise the colour class and ratings.  So please  ::) could this be implemented?

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:30:31 AM by hrbaan »
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 06:47:56 AM »
I think what we learn from this is that the IPTC/XMP synchronisation should definitely also synchronise the colour class and ratings.  So please  ::) could this be implemented?

Thanks  :)

We hear you loud and clear.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 07:08:20 AM »
Kirk (and the rest of camerabits): You guys are more than cool! 8)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 12:25:21 AM »
Just to confirm, the new 4.5.2 fixes all this including some other minor issues related to how the colour class/rating/tag info was shown with RAW+JPG combos.

Great work!
Hayo Baan - Photography