Author Topic: Ingest freezes PM  (Read 6857 times)

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Ingest freezes PM
« on: July 07, 2007, 10:35:58 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Running windows XP and the PM4.5.2 beta

About 30% of the time, seems without rhyme or reason, when I ingest successive disks from a shoot,
the first Ingest of a CF card completes successfully (Ingest Preferences set to open ingest dialog upon detect of disk, delete files off the disk and unmount disk upon completion of ingest, and close/hide ingest dialog box upon completion.)

But, upon insertion of second disk to ingest, the ingest dialog opens, I hit the ingest button, and the program freezes.
I must then force-quit PM.
I have been ingesting disks without a problem for several years now, and this is a fairly new development.
(another observation is that after I hit the Ingest button in the Ingest dialog box, a new box on occasion flashes on the screen for a very short duration...something about PM searching/calculating/doing something with the files...this is new too)
How can I fix?
Nati

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest freezes PM
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »
Nati,

About 30% of the time, seems without rhyme or reason, when I ingest successive disks from a shoot,
the first Ingest of a CF card completes successfully (Ingest Preferences set to open ingest dialog upon detect of disk, delete files off the disk and unmount disk upon completion of ingest, and close/hide ingest dialog box upon completion.)

But, upon insertion of second disk to ingest, the ingest dialog opens, I hit the ingest button, and the program freezes.
I have been ingesting disks without a problem for several years now, and this is a fairly new development.
(another observation is that after I hit the Ingest button in the Ingest dialog box, a new box on occasion flashes on the screen for a very short duration...something about PM searching/calculating/doing something with the files...this is new too)
How can I fix?

It sounds like something we need to fix, not you.  Looking into it...

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:11:13 PM »
Nati,

We tried to reproduce this on our end with no luck.  Can you furnish any further details that will help us reproduce this issue on our end?

Have you tried the latest 4.5.2 beta?

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:17:42 PM »
Kirk,
I have since uninstalled the beta, and am back to version 4.5.1.1 which ingests just fine.
I can try and install the latest beta to see if I still experience the freezing during ingest.
There seemed no "reliable way" to force my computer to freeze after the first ingest, though it was my impression that I had a better chance of running into problems after ingesting a full one or two gig CF card, and I used cards from 2 cameras.
It was a full moon too...
If I install the latest beta, will it co-exist with version 4.5.1.1? I will need a stable machine this weekend.
Best, Nati

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 10:33:35 PM »
Kirk,
Further my previous message,
attached is Word file with my PM 4.5.2 beta prefs.
Nati

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 10:39:19 PM »
Nati,

I have since uninstalled the beta, and am back to version 4.5.1.1 which ingests just fine.
I can try and install the latest beta to see if I still experience the freezing during ingest.
There seemed no "reliable way" to force my computer to freeze after the first ingest, though it was my impression that I had a better chance of running into problems after ingesting a full one or two gig CF card, and I used cards from 2 cameras.
It was a full moon too...
If I install the latest beta, will it co-exist with version 4.5.1.1? I will need a stable machine this weekend.

Yes, just make sure you have the install directory set to a different folder, like "Photo Mechanic 4.5.2 beta".

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 08:24:01 AM »
Kirk,
Just froze my latest PM 4.5.2 beta.
Here are the steps I took:
Ingested one disk with 31 jpegs. no problems.
I browsed the ingested contact sheet, looked at a couple of images in preview window, closed preview but not the contact sheet.
Inserted a full CF card, which was shot jpeg+raw on Canon 1D MK II, and got the program to freeze, screen shots in attached word file.
I have not unfroze PM, so if there is any info you can use from my machine, let me know in the next few hours.

Computer configuration is win XP Pro, 2 gig memory, external USB CF reader and 3 external hard drives, connected via USB ports. (External HD's are storage only, PM cache is configured to a partition of my internal HD)
Rgds, Nati

[attachment deleted by admin]