Author Topic: Slow moving files with Drag-n-drop  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Johnny Johansson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow moving files with Drag-n-drop
« on: July 10, 2007, 06:49:16 AM »
I am evaluating PM and I am impressed by the performance of the software as well as the support provided in these forums.

Theres is however one operation where speed is far from impressive, and unfortunately it is in the middle of my typical workflow. When I import images from the camera(s), I put them in a directory structure which look like this:

\Photo\070710-Title\Cameraname\

I then browse this folder (with PM or some alternative) to find the "winners" which I drag-n-drop into the parent folder (070710-Title). The problem is that in PM, this drag-n-drop takes a long time (5-10 seconds) which is really frustrating. The number of images in the folder seem to affect the performance and in my case it is ofter several hundred and occasionally over a thousand images. Doing the same operation in Windows explorer takes only a fraction of a second!

I am using PM 4.5.1.1 on Windows Vista 64-bit. The images I work on are Nikon NEF files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow moving files with Drag-n-drop
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:02:32 AM »
I am evaluating PM and I am impressed by the performance of the software as well as the support provided in these forums.

Theres is however one operation where speed is far from impressive, and unfortunately it is in the middle of my typical workflow. When I import images from the camera(s), I put them in a directory structure which look like this:

\Photo\070710-Title\Cameraname\

I then browse this folder (with PM or some alternative) to find the "winners" which I drag-n-drop into the parent folder (070710-Title). The problem is that in PM, this drag-n-drop takes a long time (5-10 seconds) which is really frustrating. The number of images in the folder seem to affect the performance and in my case it is ofter several hundred and occasionally over a thousand images. Doing the same operation in Windows explorer takes only a fraction of a second!

I am using PM 4.5.1.1 on Windows Vista 64-bit. The images I work on are Nikon NEF files.

Are you dragging and dropping the files onto the Navigator?  I will look into this when I get back from my trip.

-Kirk

Offline Johnny Johansson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:06:08 AM »
Yes, that is correct, and I generally drag images one at a time.

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:16:11 AM »
Kirk,

Maybe this is related, but on Windows 4.5.1.1 PM sometimes freezes when moving files by dragging them with mouse.  Have to use an "End Now" action to terminate PM.  Sometimes PM will not restart after this type of "shutdown" and the system requires a reboot to get PM working again.  This does not happen consistently and I have not been able to determine a pattern.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »
Yes, that is correct, and I generally drag images one at a time.

I looked into this.  It copies the images very quickly, but the time is being spent refreshing the contact sheet and the Navigator tree.

I'll see how much of that I can mitigate.

-Kirk