Author Topic: Import data from Text Exporter  (Read 5198 times)

Offline rpasley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Import data from Text Exporter
« on: May 31, 2007, 07:07:43 PM »
This may be possible some other way, but if so, I can't figure it out. It seems to me to be a potentially widely valued feature.

I have a client who uses PM to review images I deliver via DVD. She uses star and/or color ratings to mark her varlous selects. It would be great if she could use Text Exporter with the following variables {filename}{tab}{colorclass}{tab}{rating} that could be emailed and I could then IMPORT into the same collection of images to apply the specific ratings she's assigned to my catalog.

It would be most valuable, though probably tougher, to have PM use the {filename} data to actually identify the file that it changes the color class and/or rating of...that way the imported text file need not exactly match the collection that it's being imported in to...i.e. the sort order could be different, etc...

Thanks,
rpasley

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Import data from Text Exporter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 08:11:30 PM »
This may be possible some other way, but if so, I can't figure it out. It seems to me to be a potentially widely valued feature.

I have a client who uses PM to review images I deliver via DVD. She uses star and/or color ratings to mark her varlous selects. It would be great if she could use Text Exporter with the following variables {filename}{tab}{colorclass}{tab}{rating} that could be emailed and I could then IMPORT into the same collection of images to apply the specific ratings she's assigned to my catalog.

It would be most valuable, though probably tougher, to have PM use the {filename} data to actually identify the file that it changes the color class and/or rating of...that way the imported text file need not exactly match the collection that it's being imported in to...i.e. the sort order could be different, etc...

Thanks,
rpasley

I agree that it would be a useful feature.  Though I think it would be easier to make an Export/Import edits feature that was single-purpose and would allow you to choose what edits are exported and what edits are imported.  For instance your customer might even want to choose to set crops on the selected images.  You would then be able to see those edits if you want, or you could discard them on Import.

-Kirk

Offline rpasley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 06:57:29 PM »
Kirk- I meant my specific variables to be only an example of what would be helpful in this specific case...if you could create something along the lines of what you described, I do think many users would benefit and simplified collaborative image editing would become a new blue-ribbon feature for PM...

Thanks for your consideration,
rpasley

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:07:25 AM »
This sounds a bit like something I have pondered about - except I would really like to see a more generic image selection import/export feature, to allow use with various webgallery solutions. I have been testing ImageFolio 4 Pro for awhile, and it's e-mail lightboxes feature generates a text-list of all the selected images in the online lightbox, and sends it in an e-mail. The output looks like this:

This lightbox contains the following files:
API/Portretter_27.03.2007/Skissebilder_sorthvitt/API-20070327-6062.jpg
API/Portretter_27.03.2007/Skissebilder_sorthvitt/API-20070327-5906.jpg
API/Portretter_27.03.2007/Skissebilder_sorthvitt/API-20070327-5830.jpg

It can be really tedious and time-consuming to re-locate those very same images locally on my Mac, if the list is long enough (and it frequently is). If there was a way to just import that list into PM and have it perform a "multiple" search for those images, that would make my workflow a lot easier. It would be great to have user settings for this tool was so it could accept  paragraphs, commas, slashes or whatever separator sign that the users web gallery uses.

Sometimes I have missed a similar list view in PM - when I have to manually re-locate images by filename - so I guess that a filename list view in PM becomes another feature request  :)