Author Topic: Configurable Short-cut Keys?  (Read 5252 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Configurable Short-cut Keys?
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:25:20 AM »
Is there anyway to change the function short-cut keys?

I do a LOT of IPTC editing and the ALT+[ and ALT+] keys are real LONG stretch for my left hand.  Post-processing 3000+ images after a weekend shoot results in a sore hand and I am concerned about long-term effects.  I would like to move the IPTC NEXT/PREVIOUS commands to someplace on the left-side of the keyboard.

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Configurable Short-cut Keys?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:30:16 AM »
Mike,

Is there anyway to change the function short-cut keys?

I do a LOT of IPTC editing and the ALT+[ and ALT+] keys are real LONG stretch for my left hand.  Post-processing 3000+ images after a weekend shoot results in a sore hand and I am concerned about long-term effects.  I would like to move the IPTC NEXT/PREVIOUS commands to someplace on the left-side of the keyboard.

There is currently no way to customize the keyboard shortcuts in PM.  Do you have a suggestion for alternate keys in your above example?

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:16:09 AM »
Kirk,

In the standard windows keyboard are two ALT keys (one left, one right of the shift key). It seems only the left ALT key works for shortcuts, the right one doesn't work (but in this case would be much closer to the [ and ] keys for use with right hand). Is that supposed to be?

Another thing, if I use the ALT shortcuts to move to the next or previous picture, the tumb in the IPTC window changes, but the selection in the contact sheet does not move (stays with picture original used to open IPTC window). Can that be synchronized?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:19:21 AM by archer69 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
Archer,

In the standard windows keyboard are two ALT keys (one left, one right of the shift key). It seems only the left ALT key works for shortcuts, the right one doesn't work (but in this case would be much closer to the [ and ] keys for use with right hand). Is that supposed to be?

I had to disable the use of the right-Alt key because it caused problems with people who have the Alt-GR key instead of the Alt key on the right side of their keyboards.  It basically made the dialog fairly unusable for them as it was.

Quote from: archer69
Another thing, if I use the ALT shortcuts to move to the next or previous picture, the tumb in the IPTC window changes, but the selection in the contact sheet does not move (stays with picture original used to open IPTC window). Can that be synchronized?

It does not change your selection, but it does at least scroll the contact sheet to make sure that the currently edited image is visible.  Many folks would not like for their selection to change when using the IPTC Info dialog.

-Kirk

Offline perw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:34:56 PM »
A comment from a user with a non-english OS and, most important, a non-US keyboard!

Key combinations that are natural and easy to use on one keyboard can be quite cumbersome on other keyboards. As an example, the Unix/Linux etc file path separator is '/', normally on the lower right of the keyboard, very easy to use quickly. On my keyboard it is shift-7 ! Imagine using that often and in long strings.

The same goes for many other keys, '[', ']' etc that are 2-key and sometimes 3-key combinations. Some shortcuts will not work at all, because one of the required keys is already used to produce one of the other required keys.

I make do with what is available, but clearly there is an advantage for some to be able to deviate (?) from the standard mappings.

/Per

Offline hilmartor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »
I would like to echo the thing about the keyboard. I am using an Icelandic keyboard (which I have posted a picture of before) and some important keys from PM are not readily available on the keyboard. Therefore you have to customize the keyboard through Mac Os which is never the perfect solution.

Is PM - Made for USA - as such or will there be a different keyboard layout available?

-Hilmar

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 05:25:08 AM »
Kirk,
Sorry for the delay, I have been shooting a lot and haven't had time to check the board.

I don't have the current keyboard shortcut list handy, so many of these are probably already taken.  Basically something in the area of ALT+A,S,D,F,Q,W,E would work for my length of fingers.

The goal is to keep my left hand on the keyboard to do forward/reverse and my right hand on the 10-key keypad to enter race numbers. 

Now, here's another thought:  What I would LOVE is the ability to code the 10-key keypad "+" key to mimic the ALT+] (save and next) function and the keypad "-" key to mimic ALT+[ (save and go back one) function.  THAT would fantastic for high volume data enter.  Lets me then use my left hand to hold the wine glass  ;D.

-Mike

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 10:56:53 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I had to disable the use of the right-Alt key because it caused problems with people who have the Alt-GR key instead of the Alt key on the right side of their keyboards.  It basically made the dialog fairly unusable for them as it was.
I was affraid of that.

It does not change your selection, but it does at least scroll the contact sheet to make sure that the currently edited image is visible.  Many folks would not like for their selection to change when using the IPTC Info dialog.
I just used the IPTC diqloge in the Peview Window instead of the 'ContactSheet. In the Preview Mode it seems to work that if I go to the next file, the seclection in the scroll-bar is automatically updated and it does automatically scrolled as well. So I don't get the argument why it is implemented in one place, but not int the other place.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 10:58:45 PM by archer69 »