Author Topic: Comparing 2 Pictures from different directories  (Read 8513 times)

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
Comparing 2 Pictures from different directories
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »
I am running 4.5. I would like to compare Pic1 in Folder 1 with Pic 1 in Folder 2 (directory 2). When I do an open command I get a tabbed contact sheet for folder 1 and another for folder 2.  I select pic 1 in contact sheet 1 then select pic 1 in contact sheet 2. When I click "view all selected" I only get the one from the current contact sheet. I am not able to figure out how to see the 2 pics side-by-side. 

Thanks.
David

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Re: Comparing 2 Pictures from different directories
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:55:11 AM »
Dave,

Perhaps there is another way, but here is one way:

Open contact sheet from folder 1. Then go in the navigator window and right click on folder 2 and select 'Open in current contact sheet'.

Now the pictures of folder 1 and folder 2 are shown in the same contact sheet and you can select and/or compare any picture in it.

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:27:34 AM »
Hi JH,
I must be thick but I'm not seeing the option of "opening in current contact sheet".  I go to View, click Navigator, find the directory, then right-click it but only see the standard windows options (Explore...Properties). What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:59:27 AM »
David,

I must be thick but I'm not seeing the option of "opening in current contact sheet".  I go to View, click Navigator, find the directory, then right-click it but only see the standard windows options (Explore...Properties). What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like you are not using version 4.5.1.1 but are instead using an older version of Photo Mechanic.  Open up the About box in Photo Mechanic from the Help menu.  What version does it display?

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:35:40 AM »
you are correct - I'm using 4.5. I was able to open into the same contact sheet if I put the folder in the favorites and righ-clicked from there. I assume I don't need to do that in the new version?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
you are correct - I'm using 4.5. I was able to open into the same contact sheet if I put the folder in the favorites and righ-clicked from there. I assume I don't need to do that in the new version?

Yes, please uninstall 4.5 and download and install version 4.5.1.1 of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »
I did install 4.5.1 but am still having the same problem. Other than moving the folders into favorites, I can't combine contact sheets.

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »
Hi Kirk,
Is there an easy way to compare 2 images in seperate directories? or do you have to designate the directories as favorites?
Thanks.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »
I did install 4.5.1 but am still having the same problem. Other than moving the folders into favorites, I can't combine contact sheets.

Are you certain that you are running version 4.5.1.1?  Check the About box.

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:42:16 PM »
yes, definitely 4.5.1.1  . I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Could you just walk me through the process of comparing 2 images from 2 directories (win xp).
Thanks.
David

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 07:13:58 PM »
I think I figured it out. I was right clicking on the open window, but I guess it must be in the navigation browser window. Correct?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »
David,

I think I figured it out. I was right clicking on the open window, but I guess it must be in the navigation browser window. Correct?

I think so, but here are the step-by-step instructions:

In the Navigator pane, right click on the first folder and choose Open in new Contact Sheet.  Then right click on the second folder and choose Open in current Contact Sheet.

That's it.  If you want to be able to more quickly open this set of folders, you can use the Remember folders... command on the File menu.  This will cause the Favorites panel to ask you for a name and then it will save your selection as a favorite that you can use later to reopen the set of folders again.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline wiesiek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 01:12:35 AM »
Kirk,

I also had similar problems. I was using the Open dialog instead of the Navigator panel. In the context menu (right mouse click) there is a Photo Mechanic sub-menu but with only two choices: open in a new contact sheet and add to favorites. It would be logical if the other options (from the Navigator panel) where also available. Is it possible to add them there?

Wiesiek

PS. I am using PM 4.5.1.1 under Windows XP SP2.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:14:21 AM by wiesiek »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 07:51:26 AM »
Wiesiek,

I also had similar problems. I was using the Open dialog instead of the Navigator panel. In the context menu (right mouse click) there is a Photo Mechanic sub-menu but with only two choices: open in a new contact sheet and add to favorites. It would be logical if the other options (from the Navigator panel) where also available. Is it possible to add them there?

Wiesiek

PS. I am using PM 4.5.1.1 under Windows XP SP2.

The menu you are seeing in the Open dialog is a "shell menu" which is the same menu that is available from within Windows Explorer.  It actually doesn't have a high level of communication with PM so it is fairly limited in what it can do to communicate with PM.

That said however, it may be possible to add additional options to the shell menu, but likely not all of the same options would be possible.

-Kirk

Offline wiesiek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 08:24:51 AM »
Kirk,

thanks a lot for the clarification. I suspected that there is some reason behind this "illogicality".

Wiesiek