Author Topic: preserve XMP in web galleries? (and in FTP resizing)  (Read 3285 times)

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
preserve XMP in web galleries? (and in FTP resizing)
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »

Greetings again-

So metadata is what it's all about, as we know. The PM4 web exporter has an option to preserve EXIF info, and an option to preserve IPTC info, but it strips the XMP info from images. Can't we keep all the metadata in there? The "save-as" and "email" functionalities don't seem to strip the XMP info, and as a rule I'd like to keep as much metadata as possible, especially for my images that are getting distributed far and wide on the web.

I'm a bit confused, because I'd assume that the same code was being used everywhere for resizing the images... but I can resize an image during a "save-as" or email, and the XMP stays in there- but both the html export and if I resize while uploading via FTP, then the XMP gets stripped out. It'd be a nice thing to hold on to.

Thanks!
-jj

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: preserve XMP in web galleries? (and in FTP resizing)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:56:01 PM »
JJ,

So metadata is what it's all about, as we know. The PM4 web exporter has an option to preserve EXIF info, and an option to preserve IPTC info, but it strips the XMP info from images. Can't we keep all the metadata in there? The "save-as" and "email" functionalities don't seem to strip the XMP info, and as a rule I'd like to keep as much metadata as possible, especially for my images that are getting distributed far and wide on the web.

I'm a bit confused, because I'd assume that the same code was being used everywhere for resizing the images... but I can resize an image during a "save-as" or email, and the XMP stays in there- but both the html export and if I resize while uploading via FTP, then the XMP gets stripped out. It'd be a nice thing to hold on to.

Looking into it now.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:51:32 PM »
JJ,

Do you have your IPTC/XMP preferences for JPEGs set to embed XMP as well as IPTC data?  If you don't instruct PM to embed XMP data into JPEGs they won't be present in the resulting images.

-Kirk

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »
Hi Kirk- Yes, my preferences for JPEG, TIFF, PSD, DNG photos is "add both embedded IPTC and IPTC4XMP" - anything else I should check? Thanks!