Author Topic: 64-bit version of PM for Windows  (Read 16264 times)

Offline Johnny Johansson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
64-bit version of PM for Windows
« on: July 14, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »
The current 32-bit version of PM runs fine on 64-bit Windows, but modern processors are typically more efficient att running 64-bit code (usually around 10-15% faster is what I have heard, but this can differ a lot between different applications), so having a 64-bit version of PM would probably make PM even faster than it already is.

The disadvantage is ofcourse having to maintain two different versions of PM for Windows and I do not know how much work that would mean, but I am curious about if there are any plans for a 64-bit version?

An additional advantage would be the possibility to have a larger memory cache. In PM 4.5.1.1, the cache seems to be limited to 1024MB which is a reasonable limit for a 32-bit application, but with 64-bit it would be possible to use a lot more memory for caching if available.

// Johnny

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: 64-bit version of PM for Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:14:34 AM »
How about getting a Mac instead  ;D

Not entirely meant jokingly though.  We're currently using Windows on our PC and laptops, but we will be switching to Mac before the end of the year.  Microsoft's last sad attempt of an OS was the final deciding factor.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »
Johnny,

The current 32-bit version of PM runs fine on 64-bit Windows, but modern processors are typically more efficient att running 64-bit code (usually around 10-15% faster is what I have heard, but this can differ a lot between different applications), so having a 64-bit version of PM would probably make PM even faster than it already is.

The disadvantage is ofcourse having to maintain two different versions of PM for Windows and I do not know how much work that would mean, but I am curious about if there are any plans for a 64-bit version?

An additional advantage would be the possibility to have a larger memory cache. In PM 4.5.1.1, the cache seems to be limited to 1024MB which is a reasonable limit for a 32-bit application, but with 64-bit it would be possible to use a lot more memory for caching if available.

When 64-bit systems become more prevalent, we will make a 64-bit version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »
Kirk, this triggers me: I reckon the mac version is already 64 bit (as the OS has been 64 bit for quite some time now)?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:22:29 PM »
Kirk, this triggers me: I reckon the mac version is already 64 bit (as the OS has been 64 bit for quite some time now)?

No.  Mac OS X is not at this time fully 64-bit.  Parts of it are 64-bit, most of it is not.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 11:55:34 PM »
Ah, forgive my ignorance.  I'm currently running a PC and will make the switch to MAC before the end of the year and understood from the Apple website it was all 64bit (guess that was a bit of a marketing oversimplification).

Thanks for setting me right.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Peter I.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
Johnny,

When 64-bit systems become more prevalent, we will make a 64-bit version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Hello Kirk,

all the best to the new year.
You wrote Your answer about Windows 64-bit systems 30 months ago. Did they meanwhile become more prevalent between professional photographers? I just built a new PC, because the old one became a sleeping pill dealing with the files of my Canon 7D. Not beeng keen to reconstruct it after some months again, I chose an Windows 7 64-bit ...

Thanks for reply,
Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
Peter,

You wrote Your answer about Windows 64-bit systems 30 months ago. Did they meanwhile become more prevalent between professional photographers? I just built a new PC, because the old one became a sleeping pill dealing with the files of my Canon 7D. Not beeng keen to reconstruct it after some months again, I chose an Windows 7 64-bit ...

Photo Mechanic is still a 32-bit application, but should run just fine on your Windows 7 64-bit OS.

-Kirk

Offline dandill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
Photo Mechanic is still a 32-bit application, but should run just fine on your Windows 7 64-bit OS

I can confirm that it does indeed.

Dan Dill

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:27:26 AM »
yes it runs on win7-64, thats true, but  its also a fact that 64bit systems getting more and more relevant. In face, you cant buy any longer 32bit PC s I guess
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
yes it runs on win7-64, thats true, but  its also a fact that 64bit systems getting more and more relevant. In face, you cant buy any longer 32bit PC s I guess

They'll all still run a 32-bit OS.  Even now Microsoft still offers a 32-bit version of Windows 7.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 10:38:29 AM »
I've been using PM with Vista 64 for about a year now with no problems. Since PM really doesn't do all that much processing compared to other apps, I'm not sure a true 64 bit version would do much more or faster. Other apps, like Capture NX could definitely benefit from a 64 bit version, and I suspect a Camera Bits DAM app might also work better as a 64 bit app.

Maintaining compatibility with editing apps, new camera formats and continued tweaking of features are what I want to see from PM.

Mick

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »
I'd like to see a native 64bit program too. Just to get the increase in performance. 

Offline Claude Diderich

• Newcomer
  • Claude Diderich
    • View Profile
    • Claude Diderich Sports Pictures
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 01:57:16 AM »
Count me with those users for whome a 64-bit system has become more prevalent (running Windows 7 64bit) :)
Claude Diderich, sports photographer, member of AIPS and sportpress.ch
Mülibachstrasse 49, CH-8805 Richterswil, Switzerland, phone: +41 (44) 450 81 66, fax: +41 (44) 450 81 19, mobile: +41 (79) 450 81 66, e-mail: cdiderich@cdsp.photo, internet: http://www.cdsp.photo/