Author Topic: Concurrent ingesting with Lexar Pro card reader  (Read 8086 times)

Offline tim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Concurrent ingesting with Lexar Pro card reader
« on: May 24, 2006, 04:40:35 PM »
Dear Photo Mechanic, I need to ingest four 4GB CF cards concurrently in Photo Mechanic using daisy chained Lexar Pro card readers. To date I can only access one card at a time for ingesting. I'm leaving for overseas in several days. Please help. Thanks, Tim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Concurrent ingesting with Lexar Pro card reader
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 05:07:07 PM »
I need to ingest four 4GB CF cards concurrently in Photo Mechanic using daisy chained Lexar Pro card readers. To date I can only access one card at a time for ingesting. I'm leaving for overseas in several days. Please help.

If you want to ingest them all in parallel instead of serially, you need to insert the cards one at a time, starting the ingest for each card in turn.  Once the first card gets underway, insert the second card, and start its ingest.  Then insert the third card, and start its ingest.  Then insert the fourth card and start its ingest.

This procedure can be repeated as often as you have cards/card readers.  We have tested with five readers and five cards simultaneously.  Note that for best performance if you can keep each reader on its own bus then you'll get best throughput.  Most computers have more than one USB or FireWire port, so put two readers on each port, instead of daisy chaining all four devices on one port.  Try some speed tests splitting them up/joining them together to see what is fastest on your individual system.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline tim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 08:37:52 PM »
Dear Kirk, It works. Thanks very much for the wonderfully quick response. You've saved me hours while I'm in Shanghai. Thanks again, Tim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
Dear Kirk, It works. Thanks very much for the wonderfully quick response. You've saved me hours while I'm in Shanghai. Thanks again, Tim

You're welcome.  I'm glad I could be of assistance.

-Kirk