Author Topic: Photo Mechanic does not re-open  (Read 3649 times)

Offline pbets

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic does not re-open
« on: July 24, 2007, 09:50:27 AM »
I have had this problem for a while but I thought it was a problem with PM running on a mac, but I just noticed on my friends mac that it does not happen so I thought I would ask if there was a fix.

When I am working in photo mechanic and need to work in another program I click the close button in the top left. Once I do that I cannot re-open the program, I have to quit the program and start it up again. When I try to re-open the program the photo mechanic drop down menus are displayed at the top of my screen but the program window will not open. So, as I said, I quit the program and re-open it. This also happens when I eject a CD, it closes the program and therefore I have to quit and reopen to get the program going again.

Is there any way to fix this? I have had this problem with programs that are PC based made for a mac, but I don't know if PM is one of those programs.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic does not re-open
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:00:15 AM »
I have had this problem for a while but I thought it was a problem with PM running on a mac, but I just noticed on my friends mac that it does not happen so I thought I would ask if there was a fix.

When I am working in photo mechanic and need to work in another program I click the close button in the top left. Once I do that I cannot re-open the program, I have to quit the program and start it up again. When I try to re-open the program the photo mechanic drop down menus are displayed at the top of my screen but the program window will not open. So, as I said, I quit the program and re-open it. This also happens when I eject a CD, it closes the program and therefore I have to quit and reopen to get the program going again.

Is there any way to fix this? I have had this problem with programs that are PC based made for a mac, but I don't know if PM is one of those programs.

It turns out that what you're doing is only closing a Contact Sheet window, not Photo Mechanic itself.  Photo Mechanic on the Mac can have several top-level windows and closing them does not close the application itself.  You should notice that in the upper left corner of the menu bar that the words Photo Mechanic still appear.  Choosing New from the File menu will get you a new Contact Sheet window.  Choosing Quit from the File menu will actually quit Photo Mechanic.

This is the way most applications on the Mac work.  On Windows it is often the case that closing a window closes the application (as long as it is the window that contains the menu bar.)

There is really no reason that you would need to close the Contact Sheet window in order to use another application.  Just switch to the other application using the Dock, or use Command-Tab to cycle through the currently running applications.

HTH,

-Kirk