Author Topic: Simple Question about keywords  (Read 3264 times)

Offline goldberg96

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Simple Question about keywords
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:45:54 AM »
Hi all. I just downloaded the trial version of PM and so far I really like it. But I seem to be having trouble figuring out how to search photos based on the photo containing one or more specified keywords. Can I not do that?

Also, can PM only see one folder of photos at a time or can I specify a keyword and it will give me all pics with that keyword in them?

Thanks ... I am new to digital workflow and trying to get something set up that makes sense for me to process large numbers of pics.

Rob

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Question about keywords
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:45 AM »
Rob,

PM can find keywords in your photos, but cannot handle an "OR" search (at least on my setup, running Windows XP; I understand the Spotlight search function in Mac OS allows better searching on that platform).

Generally, a search in PM applies to all images in the open tab. You can open images from multiple folders in a single tab by SHIFT-clicking on the 2nd folder you want to open into the current folder. This is useful if, for example, you limit folder sizes to the size of a DVD (for making backups) and want to view photos from an event or trip that span multiple folders.

Your question hints more toward whether PM is a "catalog" application that can find images within a larger collection. It is not, though this capability is under development according to Kirk.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Offline goldberg96

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:59:16 AM »
Your reply helps a lot. I am new to the product and trying to figure out whether to spend the money on it or not. I like it but I would definitely like it more if it also did catloging. Perhaps in the future. For now though I love it because it can write IPTC data directly into the NEF files rather than creating .xmp sidecar files, which I hate keeping track of.

Thanks ......... Rob

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:22:22 AM »
Let me suggest that, if you haven't already, you take some time to understand the various ways that programs handle metadata written into proprietary raw files (such as .NEF) as opposed to sidecar files. While sidecar files can be a pain, Adobe, for example, will not write to a proprietary raw file. Similarly, it will ignore embedded metadata in the NEF file if a sidecar also exists. So you might find, as I did, that you have some information (like Photoshop or Lightroom raw settings) in a sidecar file that does not include IPTC or other data you applied with PM into the NEF file itself.

PM gives you lots of flexibility about how to handle raw files, which is fantastic, but your choice will be dictated by how raw files are handled by other programs you use in your workflow.

Kevin

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:06:39 PM »
What Kevin says is all true.  And that's where the great strength of PhotoMechanic comes in: it is able to keep the various metadata (e.g. IPTC) sources synchronised.  Just make sure you have your preferences set right.  I have it read XMP sidecar first, then XMP, then IPTC, depending on your workflow/the programs you use, you may need a different preference.

Enjoy,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl