Author Topic: Move / Copy creates new version and does not give overwrite option  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Andy Rouse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi, when I copy a group of files from a contact sheet, select then ctrl then copy on MAC, I have found that PM creates a duplicate version on the target directory if one of the files already exists there. It does this without prompting me to overwrite, which means that I create extra versions which take up space. I looked up Preferences and there are options governing what to do if a duplicate exists but there is no option just to overwrite. I would have thought that if a file already exists I would at least get prompted about whether to overwrite, with an option to apply to all images in the selection?

I tried this by selecting the MOVE option in the copy dialog and received the same issue.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Move / Copy creates new version and does not give overwrite option
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »
Hi, when I copy a group of files from a contact sheet, select then ctrl then copy on MAC, I have found that PM creates a duplicate version on the target directory if one of the files already exists there. It does this without prompting me to overwrite, which means that I create extra versions which take up space. I looked up Preferences and there are options governing what to do if a duplicate exists but there is no option just to overwrite. I would have thought that if a file already exists I would at least get prompted about whether to overwrite, with an option to apply to all images in the selection?

I tried this by selecting the MOVE option in the copy dialog and received the same issue.

May I ask why you are copying the same set of images over and over to the same destination?

-Kirk

Offline Andy Rouse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:16:52 AM »
Kirk, trust me that as a professional photographer I have reasons for everything that I do and in this case I am updating a whole directory of low res proof images with newer ones that are processed to a higher standard. This aside I am still wondering why PM is behaving in this way, one time earlier it actually recognised that a duplicate already existed and asked me if I wanted to over write but every other time since it has created a separate copy with a slightly amended name. Surely it should prompt me all the time if a similar exists?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:17 AM »
Kirk, trust me that as a professional photographer I have reasons for everything that I do and in this case I am updating a whole directory of low res proof images with newer ones that are processed to a higher standard. This aside I am still wondering why PM is behaving in this way, one time earlier it actually recognised that a duplicate already existed and asked me if I wanted to over write but every other time since it has created a separate copy with a slightly amended name. Surely it should prompt me all the time if a similar exists?

You can use drag and drop to the Navigator/Favorites instead and it should prompt you just like the Finder does.

-Kirk

Offline Andy Rouse

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »
Like I have said, sometimes it works but more often than not it doesn't and I get two copies of the same file.