Author Topic: support at rgalbraith?  (Read 15327 times)

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
support at rgalbraith?
« on: April 26, 2006, 11:53:28 AM »
Just wondering if the (great) support at the RobGalbraith forums is going to continue - or if this place is meant to be the only new spot for support?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: support at rgalbraith?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:48:48 PM »
Just wondering if the (great) support at the RobGalbraith forums is going to continue - or if this place is meant to be the only new spot for support?

I can only speak for myself: it is really going to depend on what the forums turn out to be like and this will determine my participation.  For instance I don't feel that a private forum serves the needs of our customers, so if it becomes necessary for people to post on a "Photo Mechanic" forum to pay to become members, then it doesn't serve those individuals to pay for something that they can get here for free.

Also, the fewer forums I have to monitor, the more time it leaves me to improve Photo Mechanic which is my highest priority.

At this point in time, I have no idea what will become of the Photo Mechanic section of the RobGalbraith forums.  We'll see.

Thanks for asking!

-Kirk

Offline Nick Rains

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 04:38:52 PM »
Seems to me that there should only be one definitive PM forum, and this is it.

It is too much to expect the PM support staff to monitor more than one forum, unless they choose to do so for other reasons.

Fortunately the RG Forum seems to be heading for a freely viewable archive setup, and a paying model for new posts. Therefore anyone can search the archive of PM posts for answers and if they can't find them there they should ask here.

It might even be worth putting a link to the RG PM section in the FAQ or something, so people have somewhere to search for themselves first, before posting questions here that have been asked and answered before on the other forum.
Nick Rains

Offline JerryL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:16:40 PM »
I have to agree with Nick - the last thing we want to impose on you, Kirk, is the need to support multiple fora.  How in the world will you ever put in all the super features we need if you're too busy answering our requests for super features in more than one place?

Glad you [collectively] created this place as a result of the unzipping of the RG forum...

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:34:51 AM »
>>Seems to me that there should only be one definitive PM forum, and this is it. >>

I agree... To be honest the archive at RobGalbraith is probably not worth keeping, Kirk and all seem to fix the problem pretty quick and the wish list is probably written in stone on Kirk's desk!

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 08:44:21 AM »
I have to say that I too feel that one place for information would serve everyone well.  I think with the changes at Rgralbraiths towards a pay site that it limits the reach of the site to where it probably would be better to keep things here.  On the other hand the galbraith site was a great marketing tool for camera bits so you loose a bit of new sales by axing it.  I wonder if it would not be possible to work out a deal with the new owners where there could be a photomechanic section as a courtesy to their readers - but when clicked on would take the user to this forum.  It seems that it would benefit both parties - and keep kirk from going insane :)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:14:05 AM »
I am a brand new paying customer and have no interest in going to RG for any reason at this time.  I fully expect to be able to get support here.  Any other model for forums or support is simply strange.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 03:55:05 PM »

Here is where the original forums are: Original Photo Mechanic forums.

They are still useful for looking up old discussions, and yes, I still monitor them, though just not nearly as often as I monitor these forums.  They are now free to look at and you only have to have a membership if you want to post questions.

-Kirk