Author Topic: ingest using multiple card readers  (Read 13823 times)

Offline geoffjohnson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ingest using multiple card readers
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:20:08 PM »
Does anyone know if you can take advantage of Lexar's stackable pro firewire CF card readers.  I'm looking to use these with the ingest feature of PM?

Thanks,
Geoff Johnson

Offline BKPhotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Bruce Kennedy Photography
Re: ingest using multiple card readers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:25:31 PM »
I believe you should be able to use the stackable readers if your system (PC or Mac) recongize each one is a separate drive. You would simply select each reader listed in the "source path" portion of the ingest menu and then ingest from that specific card. If all the cards are recongized as a single drive, that may present a problem.

Bruce

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:18:01 PM »
Does anyone know if you can take advantage of Lexar's stackable pro firewire CF card readers.  I'm looking to use these with the ingest feature of PM?

They work fine with Photo Mechanic's Ingest feature.

-Kirk

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:46:13 PM »
I have always used Lexar cards and after readingthis thread and finding how easy this work, I will soon buy the CF card stacking ingestion system.

In case one reads this thread without reading the similar thread in Support then please click on this below link for very useful Kirk information that will save you time and grief.

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=186.0
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7

Offline Ron Scheffler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 03:03:02 PM »
BTW, it's faster to ingest each disk individually rather than selecting them all at once. Selecting them individually and starting ingest will allow concurrent downloading while selecting them all at once will result in sequential downloading (i.e. one disk after the other). Hope that explanation made sense.

It will also depend on the speed of your memory cards. If they're really fast, then throughput to the computer may max out at two cards... but if you're stuck with slow old cards, downloading them concurrently is about the only way to make downloading more efficient.

Since my laptop has two USB ports and one FW port, I attach a card reader to each (the small black Lexar to the FW port and Sandisk Image Mate USB readers to the USB) and go from there... not as neat and tidy as the Lexar Pro readers, but cheaper and not a bulky.
Ron Scheffler - Photographer

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 09:34:43 PM »
Are there any particular brands of readers that can download multiple cards at the same time that work best with PM and have the fasted download speeds. I use all Pro WA 80x Lexar 2 Gig cards.
Thanks,
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7