Author Topic: Eudora MAPI errors upon PM instal  (Read 5298 times)

Offline dralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Eudora MAPI errors upon PM instal
« on: July 21, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »
After listening to Jason Odell and Rick Walker praise PM, I downloaded the trial version, and I love it.  Especially the full screen previews for initial screening of a new batch of images, NEF support, and the ability to email with the client of my choice, Eudora Pro.

However, on booting up Eudora after installing PM, this message occurs:

"Could not install MAPI system because MAPI.DLL and/or MAPI32.DLL could not be renamed."

On closing Eudora, another error message window occurs:

"Could not uninstal Eudora MAPI system because MAPI.DLL and/or MAPI.DLL could not be renamed.  Do you want to quit anyway?"

Eudora seems to function OK anyway, including a couple of tests of sending photos resized in Photomechanic.

Suggestions?
Thank you, Dave Ralph

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Eudora MAPI errors upon PM instal
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:42:34 AM »
Dave,

After listening to Jason Odell and Rick Walker praise PM, I downloaded the trial version, and I love it.  Especially the full screen previews for initial screening of a new batch of images, NEF support, and the ability to email with the client of my choice, Eudora Pro.

However, on booting up Eudora after installing PM, this message occurs:

"Could not install MAPI system because MAPI.DLL and/or MAPI32.DLL could not be renamed."

On closing Eudora, another error message window occurs:

"Could not uninstal Eudora MAPI system because MAPI.DLL and/or MAPI.DLL could not be renamed.  Do you want to quit anyway?"

Eudora seems to function OK anyway, including a couple of tests of sending photos resized in Photomechanic.

Suggestions?

I don't know why that would happen.  The Photo Mechanic installer does not install or modify the MAPI.DLL at all.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 11:58:17 AM »
Dave,

Sounds like Eudora is doing some strange stuff.  Renaming DLLs?  I can see that if PM is running and using the MAPI32 DLL (or any other application for that matter) then Eudora wouldn't be able to rename it.  If Eudora is trying to swap in its own DLLs for handling MAPI then this could potentially cause problems with applications like PM that expect the standard MAPI DLLs.  Check your Eurdora settings or documentation on why it is doing this.  Plus, unless you are an administrator this shouldn't be possible anyway.  Wierd.

--dennis

Offline dralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Eudora seems to be behaving now.  I cannot say why, other than reboot of machine now seems to have cured what indigestion it had.

Dave Ralph