Author Topic: Code replacement for other than sports?  (Read 7342 times)

Offline JS

• View Profile
Code replacement for other than sports?
« on: July 22, 2007, 03:07:01 PM »
Hi,

has anybody suggestions (or is using) CR for other than sportsphotography?

Regards Johann

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
Re: Code replacement for other than sports?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 03:57:12 PM »
has anybody suggestions (or is using) CR for other than sportsphotography?

I am using code replacements to do the following..

(1) Optional display of exposure compensation. This lets me display "-0.7 EV" for a 2/3-stop compensation, but doesn't display any EV info if compensation is set to 0. Using the {comp} variable alone would result in "0 EV" in captions. However, with code replacements I can have cleaner captions, only showing EV compensation when actually used.

(2) Optional display of flash compensation. This works just like item #1 above.

(3) Create better flash status and mode data for captions and/or info text. The {flash} variable can return a very long text string which at times can be less-than clear (BTW, this isn't a critisism of Photo Mechanic as it is just reporting data from a specific EXIF flash status field). However, using code replacment I am extracting the flash status ("Fired", "Did Not Fire", etc.) and mode ("On", "Off", "Auto", etc.) from the {flash} variable.

(4) Display star ratings in slideshows and/or captions. The {stars} variable returns a numeric value indicating the rating of an image. Using code replacement I can actually show a series of "*" characters which correspond to the rating.

(5) Similar to the stars ("*") in item #4 above, code replacement lets me show the word "Tagged" during a slideshow for any tagged images.

(6) Show "P', "A", "S", "M", etc. for camera's program mode instead of the longer text such as "Normal", "Aperature Priority", "Shutter Priority", etc.

I have also experimented a bit with using code replacement to adjust and standardize Camera Make and Model names. For example, on Minolta cameras the make seems to be reported as "Minolta", "Minolta Co., Ltd." or "MINOLTA CO.,LTD", whereas in my opinion, it would be nice if it was always just "Minolta".  Also, some manufacturers include their name as part of the model number (e.g. "NIKON D200", "Canon EOS 5D") while others do not ("MAXXUM 7D", "DSLR-A100"). Through code replacement I could clean up this data so that I could easily use "{make} {model}" in captions or info text and always have clean, clear, useful data.

-Ian

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »
Another example of where code replacment could be useful...

There was a thread a few weeks ago where the addition of an icon to the contact sheet was discussed to show which images have been editted (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1820). Until such an icon exists, as a work around it was suggested that the {firmware} variable could be used. Via code replacement "EDITED" could actually be display beneath an image for those images that had been modified.

-Ian

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:25:40 AM »
Ian,

I'm very interested in your code replacements, could you share them with us?

I'm particularly interested in 1,2,3,4, and 5  :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:36:50 AM »
I'm very interested in your code replacements, could you share them with us?
I'm particularly interested in 1,2,3,4, and 5  :)

Sure. I posted them in the "Code Replacements" board (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?board=16.0)

-Ian

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »
Excellent Ian!  Your work is an example of practical use of the code replacements!

Thanks,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl