Author Topic: 4.4.3 Beta - Tag & Color Class for IPTC/XMP  (Read 11026 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
4.4.3 Beta - Tag & Color Class for IPTC/XMP
« on: April 25, 2006, 10:00:17 AM »
I'm trying to decode the release notes

Added a new preference to put photo preferences for tag and color class into IPTC/XMP so that an external editor that preserves IPTC/XMP will retain the tag and color class when a photo is edited and saved as a new photo. You can choose to have this done for RAW photos only, for all photos, or not at all. However, when the IPTC/XMP is updated for a photo, the tag and color class will be added to the IPTC/XMP regardless of the preference setting. If you choose to set the preference for all photos, then tagging or setting the color class for JPEGs and PSD files can be much slower since the IPTC/XMP may need to be inserted into the photo.

I think this means I'm disappointed that I can't rate and or label in PM and have those transfer to Adobe Bridge? Or is it just I don't understand. In any case I tried tagging and adding a colour class but nothing shows up in Bridge.

What's the actual intention for this new feature?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.4.3 Beta - Tag & Color Class for IPTC/XMP
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 10:44:47 AM »
I'm trying to decode the release notes

Added a new preference to put photo preferences for tag and color class into IPTC/XMP so that an external editor that preserves IPTC/XMP will retain the tag and color class when a photo is edited and saved as a new photo. You can choose to have this done for RAW photos only, for all photos, or not at all. However, when the IPTC/XMP is updated for a photo, the tag and color class will be added to the IPTC/XMP regardless of the preference setting. If you choose to set the preference for all photos, then tagging or setting the color class for JPEGs and PSD files can be much slower since the IPTC/XMP may need to be inserted into the photo.

I think this means I'm disappointed that I can't rate and or label in PM and have those transfer to Adobe Bridge? Or is it just I don't understand. In any case I tried tagging and adding a colour class but nothing shows up in Bridge.

What's the actual intention for this new feature?

Photo Mechanic does not currently have a 5-star rating system.  What this new feature does is makes sure your color class and tag survive the complete re-saving of a file in another application such as Photoshop.  Previously when you would re-save a file in Photoshop it would wipe out our settings.  Putting our settings into the IPTC and XMP data ensures their survival.  Our edits should also survive re-saving of many RAW file formats such as NEF and CR2.

A 5-star rating system is scheduled for version 4.5.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Re: 4.4.3 Beta - Tag & Color Class for IPTC/XMP
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 12:14:50 PM »
A 5-star rating system is scheduled for version 4.5.

Okay, I'll sit down, be quiet and wait patiently.

Thanks!