Author Topic: Beta 4 - now displays $RECYCLE.BIN  (Read 17481 times)

Offline Marty Ojaste

• View Profile
    • Martin Ojaste
Beta 4 - now displays $RECYCLE.BIN
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:45:58 AM »
I just installed the windows beta 4 on Vista for the first time and noticed that in the Navigator window the displays $RECYCLE.BIN folder located in the root of a disk drive.
\Marty

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Beta 4 - now displays $RECYCLE.BIN
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 07:26:41 AM »
The (normally) hidden directory $RECYCLER.BIN is the Recycler.  With Vista Microsoft decided to rename it from the usual "RECYCLER" (NTFS) or "Recycled" (FAT32).

I guess PM shows the hidden directories as well now... (doesn't with 4.5.1.1)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:00:10 PM »
The (normally) hidden directory $RECYCLER.BIN is the Recycler.  With Vista Microsoft decided to rename it from the usual "RECYCLER" (NTFS) or "Recycled" (FAT32).

I guess PM shows the hidden directories as well now... (doesn't with 4.5.1.1)

I've just made a change to hide System directories.  Hidden directories that are not System directories will still continue to be shown.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »
I've just made a change to hide System directories.  Hidden directories that are not System directories will still continue to be shown.

Kirk,

Does PM hide System files as well, or only System directories?

-Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
Ian,

Does PM hide System files as well, or only System directories?

The Navigator will now hide System directories.  Contact Sheets will continue to hide Hidden and System files.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:04:48 PM »
The Navigator will now hide System directories.  Contact Sheets will continue to hide Hidden and System files.

That makes a bit more sense.

Is there any particular reason why it was decided to have the Navigator show hidden (non-system) directories?

-Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »

That makes a bit more sense.

Is there any particular reason why it was decided to have the Navigator show hidden (non-system) directories?

One of our customers was having difficulty seeing particular folders that were important to him via the Navigator.  So I tried to accommodate him but I definitely don't want things like the recycle bin showing up.

Showing hidden folders may still work for him and won't really cause any instability for anyone else.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:08:38 PM »
One of our customers was having difficulty seeing particular folders that were important to him via the Navigator.  So I tried to accommodate him but I definitely don't want things like the recycle bin showing up.

Showing hidden folders may still work for him and won't really cause any instability for anyone else.

Understood. For the most part it doesn't really affect me that much as my photos are kept in a hierarchical directory structure under a single main directory. However, perhaps one day you might want to make this a Preference setting

On the rare occasion I have browsed other parts of my drives.  There are quite a large number of dirs that are marked as hidden, but not system dirs and it would be nice not to see all this "junk". As an example, since I work under Windows I am plagued by the inevitable ridiculous number of "My...." folders that every other program seems to think is necessary to create. At this moment, 14 of the 23 dirs under "My Documents" are not really "mine", as they were created for me by various apps (e.g. "My eBooks", "My Shapes", "My Pictures",...). My solution? They're all set as "Hidden" dirs and thus they don't normally show up in any app...except Photo Mechanic. (FWIW, deleting these unwanted dirs is a wasted exercise as most apps that are offensive enough to automatically create such dirs will either re-create them or just fail to run properly if they are missing).

Anyway, a preference option to not show Hidden Dirs would be nice, even though it's not absolutely necessary.

-Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 09:28:08 PM »
Ian,

Anyway, a preference option to not show Hidden Dirs would be nice, even though it's not absolutely necessary.

I've made it a preference in the Navigator.  You can choose to see hidden and/or system folders.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 06:14:11 AM »
I've made it a preference in the Navigator.  You can choose to see hidden and/or system folders.

Thanks, that's fantastic.

It's too bad so few application developers actually pay as much attention to their customers as you guys do.

-Ian

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 12:44:47 AM »
Thanks, that's fantastic.

It's too bad so few application developers actually pay as much attention to their customers as you guys do.

Indeed, praise to the Camerabits crew!  :)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 07:18:09 AM »
Hi Kirk, please, will the new option allow displaying of HIDDEN files as well? Or the best, make an additional option for this? Many DSLRs have a menu for marking files HIDDEN in camera (actually this is quite useful on tricky assignments, it came quite useful when I was shooting in some countries), but while PM does copy these files during ingest, it doesn't show them. What would I think work would be just a rule to hide any hidden files BUT hidden jpeg/nef/... files (plus their associated wav file)... What do you think?

It's easy to just change file attribute in file manager, but one can forget to do that... wondering where the files are... :)

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 07:23:26 AM »
Frantisek,

Hi Kirk, please, will the new option allow displaying of HIDDEN files as well? Or the best, make an additional option for this? Many DSLRs have a menu for marking files HIDDEN in camera (actually this is quite useful on tricky assignments, it came quite useful when I was shooting in some countries), but while PM does copy these files during ingest, it doesn't show them. What would I think work would be just a rule to hide any hidden files BUT hidden jpeg/nef/... files (plus their associated wav file)... What do you think?

It's easy to just change file attribute in file manager, but one can forget to do that... wondering where the files are... :)

That's news to me.  I thought they only could mark them as locked (read only) which we mark automatically as tagged.

I would rather just mark these hidden files as tagged to and then make them visible.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 08:38:45 AM »
That's news to me.

Reading this seemed a bit familiar, so I took a look and my Nikon D200 and does have the ability to hide images. It's not quite as simple to marking images as protected as it requires use of the menus, but apparently it will hide images. A quick check and it appears that this has been available since the D1 and all but the D50, D40, D40x appear to have this option. According to Nikon's manuals, hidden images have the "hidden" and "read only" file attributes set.

I thought they only could mark them as locked (read only) which we mark automatically as tagged.

If I understand this correctly, files marked as "protected" in camera (which should apparently have the "read only" file attribute set) are automatically tagged when ingested by Photo Mechanic? Is the read-only attribute removed from the file?

I would rather just mark these hidden files as tagged to and then make them visible.

For now I would agree that it would be best to ingest them and at a minimum mark them as visible (i.e. remove the hidden attribute and possibly the read-only attribute). Tagging them might not be a bad idea either, but perhaps in the future you might want to add some preference options for such actions. Possibly the following options...

Automatically tag protected images during ingest?
  Automatically tag hidden images during ingest?

Better yet would be the ability to either tag or assign a specific color class to protected as well as do the same for hidden images. I'm not indicating that I have a specific need for this, but I could see it as something others could find useful.

-Ian

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »
If it is not hard to implement, I seconds Ian's suggestion.  However, only if it is super easy to implement; I too won't see a need for handling the hidden images at all as I don't use it and there are features I'd rather have you guys working on (like handling the NEF+TIFF+JPG combo) ;-)
Hayo Baan - Photography