Author Topic: Beta 4 - incomplete toolbar  (Read 11961 times)

Offline Serge Nelissen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Beta 4 - incomplete toolbar
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:40:28 PM »
At startup, the toolbar is not complete (the last item I see is the Thumb size slider).
Unchecking and re checking the toolbar in the view menu doesn't help, but undocking and re docking does.
Serge from Belgium (8 months winter - 4 months bad weather)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Beta 4 - incomplete toolbar
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:24:06 AM »
At startup, the toolbar is not complete (the last item I see is the Thumb size slider).
Unchecking and re checking the toolbar in the view menu doesn't help, but undocking and re docking does.

On Windows, if you relaunch PM with the Shift key down, all layout settings will revert to their default settings.

-Kirk

Offline Serge Nelissen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:54:08 PM »
Indeed.

Thank you,

Serge from Belgium (8 months winter - 4 months bad weather)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
On my Win XP version of 4.5.2 RC1 (PMSetup4.5.2b0727.exe) this problem is present. All of the items on the toolbar to the right of the thumbnail size slider are not present. I also noticed this in the prior beta version.

On Windows, if you relaunch PM with the Shift key down, all layout settings will revert to their default settings.
-Kirk

Unfortunately pressing the shift key at startup has no effect (does the beta message box get in the way perhaps?). There doesn't seem to be any way to get the tools back on the toolbar. And since there is no other way to sort a contact sheet, i.e., via a menu item, this has become a major issue.

(BTW, shouldn't there be a menu item for sorting somewhere?)

More info after more testing:
Undocking and redocking does eventually get the tools back as indicated in the top post. However, it took a couple of tries. But when I restart PM (without the shift key pressed) the tools disappear again.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 01:47:56 PM by jimb »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 02:39:02 PM »
On my Win XP version of 4.5.2 RC1 (PMSetup4.5.2b0727.exe) this problem is present. All of the items on the toolbar to the right of the thumbnail size slider are not present. I also noticed this in the prior beta version.

-Kirk

Unfortunately pressing the shift key at startup has no effect (does the beta message box get in the way perhaps?). There doesn't seem to be any way to get the tools back on the toolbar. And since there is no other way to sort a contact sheet, i.e., via a menu item, this has become a major issue.

Undocking and redocking does eventually get the tools back as indicated in the top post. However, it took a couple of tries. But when I restart PM (without the shift key pressed) the tools disappear again.

Can you post a screenshot?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »

-Kirk

Can you post a screenshot?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Immediately after starting PM--with or without pressing the shift key:

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 05:46:30 AM »
I noticed that when the toolbar is undocked, the same items that are missing at startup are on the second row of the undocked toolbar. Does this have anything to do with it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 07:22:04 AM »
I noticed that when the toolbar is undocked, the same items that are missing at startup are on the second row of the undocked toolbar. Does this have anything to do with it?

Thanks for the screenshots.  I will look into this right away.  Once I have a fix, I would like for you to test it for me, OK?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 07:56:23 AM »
Jim,

I looked into this and could reproduce it on my system if I un-docked the toolbar and then used the mouse to resize it smaller.  This condition can be undone by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom right corner of the toolbar window (the cursor shape will change, indicating that you can resize the window) and then clicking and dragging the size until it is shorter and wider.  When you let go of the mouse button the toolbar will be a single row and full width again.

I'm not sure how yours got into that condition, but the above instructions should restore the toolbar to full usability.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:49:34 AM »
Jim,

I looked into this and could reproduce it on my system if I un-docked the toolbar and then used the mouse to resize it smaller.  This condition can be undone by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom right corner of the toolbar window (the cursor shape will change, indicating that you can resize the window) and then clicking and dragging the size until it is shorter and wider.  When you let go of the mouse button the toolbar will be a single row and full width again.

I'm not sure how yours got into that condition, but the above instructions should restore the toolbar to full usability.

HTH,

-Kirk

I can confirm this...if the toolbar is redocked in its "2-row" state, then when you restart PM the tools are missing. If it's redocked as a single row, then all is well when PM is restarted. Not sure how it got this way since I never undock the toolbar. Maybe something in the prior beta (where this all started) had the default set to 2 rows when it is undocked.

A couple of other points:

- Holding down the shift key while starting PM had no effect on any of this.

- The toolbar, if undocked and moved to my second monitor, cannot be resized. It has to be positioned on the primary display in order to resize it.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 09:54:46 AM »
Jim,

I can confirm this...if the toolbar is redocked in its "2-row" state, then when you restart PM the tools are missing. If it's redocked as a single row, then all is well when PM is restarted. Not sure how it got this way since I never undock the toolbar. Maybe something in the prior beta (where this all started) had the default set to 2 rows when it is undocked.

A couple of other points:

- Holding down the shift key while starting PM had no effect on any of this.

- The toolbar, if undocked and moved to my second monitor, cannot be resized. It has to be positioned on the primary display in order to resize it.

Thanks for your help.

We use a third-party toolkit for the toolbars and docking windows.  There is no API to control the number of rows of the toolbar, but I did make a change to make the sort popup menu wider since it wasn't wide enough to show the full sort names in the menu.

I'm not surprised that you cannot resize the toolbar on your second monitor.  There are several bugs in the toolkit that we have noted to the developer.

-Kirk