Author Topic: Use of PM on an ultraportable computer  (Read 7066 times)

Offline StephenKennedy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Use of PM on an ultraportable computer
« on: July 24, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has used Photo Mechanic on a very small ultra-portable style computer.  I'm currently looking at a unit made by Samsung.

http://tinyurl.com/2na2to

It would be used for ingesting and editing in the field as well as generating HTML web galleries.  I'm sure the hardware will support the operation of Photo Mechanic but I'm wondering if it's practical to do so on such a small screen.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Use of PM on an ultraportable computer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has used Photo Mechanic on a very small ultra-portable style computer.  I'm currently looking at a unit made by Samsung.

http://tinyurl.com/2na2to

It would be used for ingesting and editing in the field as well as generating HTML web galleries.  I'm sure the hardware will support the operation of Photo Mechanic but I'm wondering if it's practical to do so on such a small screen.

Some of PM's dialogs are not resizable and may not fit the screen.  Does this computer have some sort of scrolling virtual desktop?

Also, I don't know if it has provisions for more RAM, but 1 GB is just really not big enough to run Vista effectively.  On my systems about 700 MB is used up with no applications running at all...

I'd be interested to know how well it works out for you if you do end up getting it.

-Kirk

Offline StephenKennedy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:01:19 PM »

I think there are still versions of this computer available with Windows XP. 

My hope is to find a vendor who will let me install a trial version of Photo Mechanic and see how it works.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:21:01 AM »
Wow, I must say it looks like a neat gadget!  However, with the specs of the processor and memory, I very surprised they load Vista on it.  It will be slow as a dog!  If you can get XP, that will be better.

Now if it had 2GB of memory and a (much) faster processor, it would be really great  ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:44:46 AM »
FWIW, I use PM on 1024x600px screen subnotebook (DIN A5 size) almost daily, and it's manageable. Some dialogs are not fully visible (Save As), but one can get around that somewhat. Other functions work just fine. And the subnotebooks' small size is a big bonus.

I would be a bit wary of the UMPC devices though, try a real small subnotebook instead. Something with real Pentium-M or Core Duo processor and enough RAM.  As a bonus you will have better battery life usually, normal (though small, but not stripped) keyboard and all the usable ports (most have FW, USB, some PCMCIA).

Frantisek