Author Topic: Lost files  (Read 11822 times)

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lost files
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Greetings

An odd thing happened...

This afternoon I went into a photo folder, tagged the better photos, and moved those into a "keepers" sub-folder within the photo folder.

Just now, I went to further select the best of the better, only to find the "keepers" folder missing, and a "keepers" folder in another set of photos renamed to "New folder."

I did a search through my entire computer (four drives) using a wildcard, and only came up with one photo with a similar name.

In short, I just lost 111 photos!

Any idea what could have happened?
I checked the trash, but it was empty.

Windows XP Pro
PM version 4.5.1.1

Thanks,

folsombob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lost files
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
folsombob,

An odd thing happened...

This afternoon I went into a photo folder, tagged the better photos, and moved those into a "keepers" sub-folder within the photo folder.

How did you create this "keepers" folder?
How did you move your images into this folder?

Quote from: folsombob
Just now, I went to further select the best of the better, only to find the "keepers" folder missing, and a "keepers" folder in another set of photos renamed to "New folder."

I don't understand.  Can you illustrate the folder hierarchy you're talking about?

I did a search through my entire computer (four drives) using a wildcard, and only came up with one photo with a similar name.

No, I have not seen this type of thing before.  But really I need more information in order to assess the situation.

-Kirk

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:15:37 AM »
folsombob,

An odd thing happened...

I created it from with PM. After tagging the files, pressing F3 to sort them, I moved them from the contact sheet into the "keepers" folder.

I don't understand.  Can you illustrate the folder hierarchy you're talking about?
The folder view is on the left. Each sub-folder is indented to the right, under each folder. The contact view of thumbnails is to the right of that. Using Control-A to select all of the tagged photos, I clicked and held my mouse and dragged the selected photos over to the folder view on the the, specifically over the "keepers" folder. I then opened the "keeper" folder to ensure that they were there.

No, I have not seen this type of thing before.  But really I need more information in order to assess the situation.

I don't know what else to tell you. I had initially thought I had slipped with my mouse and dropped the tagged photos into another folder. After exhaustive searches on my entire hard drive and external drives, I could not find the missing 111 photos.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »
folsombob,

An odd thing happened...

I created it from with PM. After tagging the files, pressing F3 to sort them, I moved them from the contact sheet into the "keepers" folder.

Did you use the Navigator or the Favorites to create the folder or was this part of a Save as operation?

The folder view is on the left. Each sub-folder is indented to the right, under each folder. The contact view of thumbnails is to the right of that. Using Control-A to select all of the tagged photos, I clicked and held my mouse and dragged the selected photos over to the folder view on the the, specifically over the "keepers" folder. I then opened the "keeper" folder to ensure that they were there.

I understand all of that.  I want to know what the actual folder hierarchy is, like so:

C:\
  Pictures
    keepers
      etc.

What was your folder hierarchy?

I don't know what else to tell you. I had initially thought I had slipped with my mouse and dropped the tagged photos into another folder. After exhaustive searches on my entire hard drive and external drives, I could not find the missing 111 photos.

Did PM seem like it copied the files?  Did it report an error?

This sounds like a serious bug that needs immediate attention.  I need your help in order to reproduce the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »
folsombob,

An odd thing happened...

Did you use the Navigator or the Favorites to create the folder or was this part of a Save as operation?

In the Navigator, I right-clicked on the folder containing the photos and seleced "New folder inside this folder".

I understand all of that.  I want to know what the actual folder hierarchy is, like so:

C:\
  Pictures
    keepers
      etc.

n:\
   My Pictures
      nikon_2dx
         sports
            summer_2007
               keepers

Did PM seem like it copied the files?  Did it report an error?

Yes. After I moved the tagged files into the "keepers" folder, I opened the "keepers" folder to ensure that they were there. I did not receive an error report.

This sounds like a serious bug that needs immediate attention.  I need your help in order to reproduce the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:59:40 PM »
   My Pictures
      nikon_2dx
         sports
            summer_2007
               keepers

And what was the path of the folder that you were browsing (and you dragged images from?)

-Kirk

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »
   My Pictures
      nikon_2dx
         sports
            summer_2007
               keepers

And what was the path of the folder that you were browsing (and you dragged images from?)

I tagged files in "summer_2007" and dragged them into "keepers"

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »
   My Pictures
      nikon_2dx
         sports
            summer_2007
               keepers

Ok, so the destination was on the same volume but in a subfolder of the current folder.  I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:34:10 PM »
   My Pictures
      nikon_2dx
         sports
            summer_2007
               keepers

Ok, so the destination was on the same volume but in a subfolder of the current folder.  I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

Right. Also, I might mention that shortly before the most current version of PM came out (I believe it was before 4.5.x, I had difficulty creating a subfolder. Frequently enough, PM would crash after I created a sub-folder. Perhaps or not, that might have some connection.

Can you recommend a safe and reliable file recovery program? With any luck, my 111 files are still on the drive.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 09:58:12 PM »
   My Pictures
      nikon_2dx
         sports
            summer_2007
               keepers

Right. Also, I might mention that shortly before the most current version of PM came out (I believe it was before 4.5.x, I had difficulty creating a subfolder. Frequently enough, PM would crash after I created a sub-folder. Perhaps or not, that might have some connection.

Can you recommend a safe and reliable file recovery program? With any luck, my 111 files are still on the drive.
Thanks for your help.

I only have experience with Image Rescue and it worked well for me.  It has a trial mode where it will scan your disk and show you what it could rescue if it were licensed.  That way you don't have to buy it first and find out later that it doesn't work for you.

I tried creating a similar file hierarchy to yours and have been moving photos up and down the hierarchy for about an hour now with no failures.  I'll have some others on the team try and reproduce the issue.

Are you certain you are using version 4.5.1.1?  Open the About box from the Help menu and it will tell you what version you are running.

-Kirk

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 12:46:10 AM »
   My Pictures
      nikon_2dx
         sports
            summer_2007
               keepers

Thanks for your help.

I only have experience with Image Rescue and it worked well for me.  It has a trial mode where it will scan your disk and show you what it could rescue if it were licensed.  That way you don't have to buy it first and find out later that it doesn't work for you.

I tried creating a similar file hierarchy to yours and have been moving photos up and down the hierarchy for about an hour now with no failures.  I'll have some others on the team try and reproduce the issue.

Are you certain you are using version 4.5.1.1?  Open the About box from the Help menu and it will tell you what version you are running.

Thanks for the tip; I am hoping to at least recover the lost files.
I am certain, and confirmed the version to be 4.5.1.1.
Did you right-click on a folder in The Navigator to create sub-folders, and then move files into them?
Thanks for your continued efforts. I hope what happened to me was a fluke on my computer.
folsombob

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:34:39 AM »

I have used Recover4all (www.recover4all.com) and it has always been very good at recovering files. It too has an evaluation version that will list all the files which can possibly be recovered. It will restore small files in the eval version (so you can try it out better), but you need to register it to recover larger files. One other nice thing about it is that it does not need to be installed in order to run. This helps prevent overwriting any deleted files that you are trying to recover.

-Ian