Author Topic: 4.4.3 slow to open large contact sheet  (Read 7345 times)

Offline bkerley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4.4.3 slow to open large contact sheet
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:10:25 PM »
Macbook Pro 10.4.6 2.16 Ghz intel, 2 Gig SDRAM.  Takes about 20 seconds for 4.4.3 to open a contact sheet of about 400 photos in one folder--Jpegs, total size about 1 gig.  I know this is a big folder, and should probably be split up, but is this normal behaviour?  The message at the bottom left of the page says "sort in progress" while the sheet is waiting to be opened.  4.4.2 seemed a lot faster.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.4.3 slow to open large contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:30:22 PM »
Macbook Pro 10.4.6 2.16 Ghz intel, 2 Gig SDRAM.  Takes about 20 seconds for 4.4.3 to open a contact sheet of about 400 photos in one folder--Jpegs, total size about 1 gig.  I know this is a big folder, and should probably be split up, but is this normal behaviour?  The message at the bottom left of the page says "sort in progress" while the sheet is waiting to be opened.  4.4.2 seemed a lot faster.

Normal behavior?  It depends.  What is your sorting method?  Only filename and modification time sorting is always fast.  Capture time is the slowest.

-Kirk

Offline bkerley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 05:05:48 AM »
OK, Kirk, thanks.  You're exactly right--Capture time.  I'll play around with it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:03:55 AM »
OK, Kirk, thanks.  You're exactly right--Capture time.  I'll play around with it.

Capture Time sorting requires that we parse all of the files for their Exif capture time, and since capture time isn't something we can get from the filesystem, we open each file up, read various headers, tables and such.  This takes time.

You can always choose Filename sorting to begin with and later switch to Capture Time sorting.

-Kirk