Author Topic: Move transmitted photos  (Read 4116 times)

Offline mikael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mikaelkjellstrom.com
Move transmitted photos
« on: July 29, 2007, 04:38:13 PM »
Kirk,

Would it be possible to have the option to MOVE images after they have been transmitted?  It could be added next to the  'Save a copy of transmitted photos' in the FTP As dialog box.

I find it difficult to see what images that I have sent when editing 5 or more assignments and are sending them as they are being saved, but having them moved after they have been transmitted would solve it nicely.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

...Mikael

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Move transmitted photos
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:58:30 AM »
It has been suggested previously that some sort of flag on already transmitted files would be nice.

I am definitely for somehow differentiating automatically transmitted files, but I must say against moving them, if there can be a better option - few times I had to resent files which appeared to transmit well, because of the connection or receiving computer problems. I would rather not have to hunt for them in another directory, especially if most of them transmitted correctly but some did not.

Now I use colour codes for flagging transmitted files, but some automatic "FTP'd" flag would be nicer, in my humble opinion. It could be three colour - green FTP for successfully sent (server acknowledged receive correctly), orange for FTP in progress (queued or transmitting) and red for files that didn't make it to the server corretly.

Such a flag could be either temporary, until one quits PM, or persistent - perhaps in the same manner as incremental ingests are saved now, it would certainly be better than actually writing it into the file or adding another file like .PMarrangement to the dir with photos (I believe the incremental ingests status is saved in the Cache directory?)

What do you think?

Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Move transmitted photos
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:38:25 AM »
Frantisek,

It has been suggested previously that some sort of flag on already transmitted files would be nice.

I am definitely for somehow differentiating automatically transmitted files, but I must say against moving them, if there can be a better option - few times I had to resent files which appeared to transmit well, because of the connection or receiving computer problems. I would rather not have to hunt for them in another directory, especially if most of them transmitted correctly but some did not.

Now I use colour codes for flagging transmitted files, but some automatic "FTP'd" flag would be nicer, in my humble opinion. It could be three colour - green FTP for successfully sent (server acknowledged receive correctly), orange for FTP in progress (queued or transmitting) and red for files that didn't make it to the server corretly.

Such a flag could be either temporary, until one quits PM, or persistent - perhaps in the same manner as incremental ingests are saved now, it would certainly be better than actually writing it into the file or adding another file like .PMarrangement to the dir with photos (I believe the incremental ingests status is saved in the Cache directory?)

What do you think?

What you have described is the feature I plan to implement.

Just FYI, moving the files is also a often-requested feature, but it is unfortunately hard to implement safely in a dynamic environment such as Photo Mechanic.  Because you could be editing the photo or captioning, tagging, etc. during the FTP it can be difficult for the FTP thread to know when it is safe to move the file.  Sure, most users just wouldn't do anything with the file while it is being transmitted and wouldn't start editing the image in Photoshop.  But with so much going on and the pace of working under a deadline, it would be easy to forget and then problems could occur.

Adding status indicators is far more safe.

-Kirk