Author Topic: Preference Setting to select preview for JPEG/RAW pairs  (Read 7813 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Preference Setting to select preview for JPEG/RAW pairs
« on: July 31, 2007, 09:28:45 PM »
Kirk,

I shoot always RAW and JPEG simultanious and use the JPEG file as a backup in case the RAW (NEF) file gets corrupted or for easy resize and e-mailing.

In PM I display the two files as a pair, but this automatically means PM uses the JPEG as source to display in the contact sheet or preview window.

Is it possible to have a preference setting where I can tell PM to use the RAW (NEF) embedded JPG when displaying them as a pair?

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Re: Preference Setting to select preview for JPEG/RAW pairs
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:45:48 AM »
You might want to see http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1810.0

Another variation would be to display the newer version of either raw or jpg, this way the version displayed is the most recent one (presumably the one you edited).  I suppose if this was implemented, there would have to be some visual indication of which version was being displayed.

I have always shot raw+jpg, but after purchasing PM I am seriously considering shooting raw only since with PM I can extract the jpgs after editing the raw file.  This way the jpg reflects the edits and there is less of a synchronization issue.  The only concern is that there is only one copy of the image to ingest, so the process is more vulnerable to corruption.  However, after shooting 50K+ images, I can't remember losing any photos during the transfer from the card to the PC.

Maybe a good compromise is to continue to shoot raw+jpg, but immediately after ingesting moving the jpg files to there own directory and leaving them there until you've edited the raw files and safely extracted the jpg's from the raw files (so that the jpg's reflect the edits -- both image, IPTC, and rating edits).  At this point you could delete the original jpgs.

Deven

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »
Showing the newest one would be cool, especially if there is a marker somewhere to indicate which file was used.  If this is hard to implement, I would be happy with a simple precedence option.

Note: This should then also work for TIF files of the same name (see also http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1476.0).  This would then support a RAW orientated workflow where  all editing is done in RAW (embedded JPG shows results), some edits are done in TIF (e.g., cloning etc) or JPG, and maybe even a matching final JPG for publication.

Meaning: we could have pairs and triplets of RAW+TIF, RAW+JPG, RAW+TIF+JPG, or even TIF+JPG.  A precedence option could then be set to indicate what image should be shown if there is a pair/triplet.
(IPTC/XMP synchronisation is already handled in the referenced feature request).

Hope this makes sense and is implementable (boy we never get tired of heaping more and more features on an already great product  :D)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:56:06 PM »
Hi Deven,

You might want to see http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1810.0
Sorry, I missed that request :-)

Another variation would be to display the newer version of either raw or jpg, this way the version displayed is the most recent one (presumably the one you edited).  I suppose if this was implemented, there would have to be some visual indication of which version was being displayed.
I assume displaying the most recent would make is even more difficult.

I have always shot raw+jpg, but after purchasing PM I am seriously considering shooting raw only since with PM I can extract the jpgs after editing the raw file.  This way the jpg reflects the edits and there is less of a synchronization issue.  The only concern is that there is only one copy of the image to ingest, so the process is more vulnerable to corruption.  However, after shooting 50K+ images, I can't remember losing any photos during the transfer from the card to the PC.
I'm more concerned about corruption of the RAW (NEF) files in general. I had a couple of occasions were they got corrupted. But not during ingest (was before I even had PM). I could not find out why, but it seems RAW fieles in general are more sensible and get corrupted much easier. That's why I started to shoot RAW+JPEG.

Maybe a good compromise is to continue to shoot raw+jpg, but immediately after ingesting moving the jpg files to there own directory and leaving them there until you've edited the raw files and safely extracted the jpg's from the raw files (so that the jpg's reflect the edits -- both image, IPTC, and rating edits).  At this point you could delete the original jpgs.
I don't like that idea with having them in different folders at all. I have to maintain two folders and any edit of metadatas I do in PM have to be doublicated.

Anyway, I think that a global selection in preferences to use either JPEG or RAW-embedded-JPEG preview for JPEG+RAW files would be very nice and probably appreciated by many people (and it probably isn't that difficult to implement as it is possible to do excact that for the file info, but of course I am probably wrong in that regard).

Anyway, based on Kirk's response to your request it seems that this option will not be considered, at least not in the near future. Too bad, but then again I can understand that not every request can be implemented.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:33:35 PM by archer69 »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 02:57:31 AM »
I'm more concerned about corruption of the RAW (NEF) files in general. I had a couple of occasions were they got corrupted. But not during ingest (was before I even had PM). I could not find out why, but it seems RAW fieles in general are more sensible and get corrupted much easier. That's why I started to shoot RAW+JPEG.
If you are concerned about corrupting RAW files, why don't you simply have an untouched copy of the RAW files as a backup?  That's what I do (not that I ever had to use them, but still it feels safe).  PM Can even automatically ingest at two locations :)

Note: I wish I had done that with the scans I made of my slides; with all the extra knowledge I've gained over the years wrt. image editing, I could have gone back to the original and redo the editing, leading to a much better result.  But alas I didn't :(  (Mainly due to space restrictions).

Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl