Author Topic: .cr2 "save as" issue  (Read 8915 times)

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
.cr2 "save as" issue
« on: August 01, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »
Hello,
when trying to save .cr2 files from a Canon 30D as jpegs, I get the following error message:

"None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution."

and I cannot save them as jpegs... I don't shoot jpegs with the raw files, but I don't have this problem with any of the other 3 canon camera bodies that I use. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy Daddio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: .cr2 "save as" issue
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:32:31 PM »
Andy,

when trying to save .cr2 files from a Canon 30D as jpegs, I get the following error message:

"None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution."

and I cannot save them as jpegs... I don't shoot jpegs with the raw files, but I don't have this problem with any of the other 3 canon camera bodies that I use. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

The Windows version of Photo Mechanic cannot render RAW files directly so it cannot save a CR2 file as a JPEG (or any other format).  You can use the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW Photos" command on the Tools menu to pull out the embedded JPEG previews in your CR2 files, but for best quality you should use a RAW converter.

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:13:49 PM »
I'm on a Mac if that makes any difference... only trying to get a 1024 pixel jpeg... this is just to create jpegs for preview, html, or copyright registration...

Thanks,
Andy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:32:50 AM by amdaddio »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 06:47:14 AM »
Andy,

I'm on a Mac if that makes any difference... only trying to get a 1024 pixel jpeg... this is just to create jpegs for preview, html, or copyright registration...

What version of Mac OS X are you running?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

Recent versions of PM on the Mac can use Apple's ImageIO to render CR2 files as long as you are running 10.4.3 or higher.

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »
Hi Kirk,
I am running Mac OSX 10.4.10 and am using Photo Mechanic version 4.5.1.1 I had turned off the "Apple's ImageIO" in the preferences since it would give me a different preview from what the file actually looked like (i.e. If I had dialed my Kelvin to 10,000 degrees while shooting the RAW files, I would still get a preview that would be set for daylight / 5500° K and thus the color would be off)... any info or advice would be greatly appreciated... as I mentioned before, I am only needing low res jpegs for preview, html, or copyright registrattion... I look forward to hearing back.

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Andy,

I am running Mac OSX 10.4.10 and am using Photo Mechanic version 4.5.1.1 I had turned off the "Apple's ImageIO" in the preferences since it would give me a different preview from what the file actually looked like (i.e. If I had dialed my Kelvin to 10,000 degrees while shooting the RAW files, I would still get a preview that would be set for daylight / 5500° K and thus the color would be off)... any info or advice would be greatly appreciated... as I mentioned before, I am only needing low res jpegs for preview, html, or copyright registrattion... I look forward to hearing back.

The Export feature can generate web galleries from your CR2 files directly.  Otherwise if you want to get at your embedded JPEG previews, use the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW Photos" command on the Tools menu.  You will get a set of reasonably high-resolution JPEGs that you can use for various purposes.

-Kirk