Author Topic: Quirk in rotation of JPGs from Fuji  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Paul Gillis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Quirk in rotation of JPGs from Fuji
« on: August 02, 2007, 12:05:39 AM »
I have been shooting a Nikon D200, and Fuji S3 and S5.  The cameras are set to record orientation, and I am dealing with JPGs from the camera.

In PM 4.5.1.1 the portrait (vertical) shots display correctly, with the little soft rotation icon in the corner.  In Photoshop (CS) they also open in the correct orientation.  But Windows XP shows all the images in landscape orientation.

So in PM, I ctrl+A then ctrl+R.  This fixes the Nikon images:  they display correctly in Windows as well as PM, and still open correctly in PS.  But the Fuji images, while they now display correctly in Windows, open wrong in PS (in landscape orientation.)

I also discovered that the other editing program I use, Breeze Browser Pro, displays the Fuji JPGs in the wrong orientation if I have rotated them with Photo Mechanic.  If I do the rotation in Breeze Browser, they will display wrong in PM, but they will open correctly in Photoshop.

What's going on?  Can these programs be made compatible?  (I discovered this because I started bringing home portraits to edit, from the studio where I work.  I was using PM at home, but they always use Breeze Browser.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Quirk in rotation of JPGs from Fuji
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:46:29 AM »
Paul,

I have been shooting a Nikon D200, and Fuji S3 and S5.  The cameras are set to record orientation, and I am dealing with JPGs from the camera.

In PM 4.5.1.1 the portrait (vertical) shots display correctly, with the little soft rotation icon in the corner.  In Photoshop (CS) they also open in the correct orientation.  But Windows XP shows all the images in landscape orientation.

So in PM, I ctrl+A then ctrl+R.  This fixes the Nikon images:  they display correctly in Windows as well as PM, and still open correctly in PS.  But the Fuji images, while they now display correctly in Windows, open wrong in PS (in landscape orientation.)

I also discovered that the other editing program I use, Breeze Browser Pro, displays the Fuji JPGs in the wrong orientation if I have rotated them with Photo Mechanic.  If I do the rotation in Breeze Browser, they will display wrong in PM, but they will open correctly in Photoshop.

What's going on?  Can these programs be made compatible?  (I discovered this because I started bringing home portraits to edit, from the studio where I work.  I was using PM at home, but they always use Breeze Browser.)

I don't know exactly what is going on, but if you're willing to share samples:

The original Fuji JPEG, the rotated one from PM, and the rotated one from BreezeBrowser, then I'd be happy to take a look...

Contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then send me a personal message.  I will send you server upload info.

-Kirk