Author Topic: images in folders not loading - "unsupported format variant"  (Read 4460 times)

Offline stephenB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
images in folders not loading - "unsupported format variant"
« on: August 10, 2007, 11:54:04 AM »
I demoed photomechanic and was able to load folders with psd files to caption, now we've purchased the software and every folder I try to open up to caption dosent work.  Instead of the images appearing like before, I'm getting black squares with red type that says, "unsupported format variant."  This is the first day I've used the purchased sofware too.  I opened multiple folders and it's the same with all of them, here and there one or two images will appear, but that wont cut it.  These are the exact same types of files I was captioning before, all brought in and saved the same way.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: images in folders not loading - "unsupported format variant"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
There is absolutely no difference in the purchased or the demoed version.  So that can be ruled out as a cause.  A few questions that may be helpful:
  • What OS are you using?
  • What version of PM
  • Have you installed any software in between trying the demo and purchasing it?
  • Applied any OS upgrades/patches, maybe even without you knowing it?
  • What types of files do not work anymore, and what type of files do?
  • Are the files that are not showing anymore openable in other software?
  • Anything else that may be relevant

Give us some more info so we may be able to offer you better help,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20:07 PM »
I demoed photomechanic and was able to load folders with psd files to caption, now we've purchased the software and every folder I try to open up to caption dosent work.  Instead of the images appearing like before, I'm getting black squares with red type that says, "unsupported format variant."  This is the first day I've used the purchased sofware too.  I opened multiple folders and it's the same with all of them, here and there one or two images will appear, but that wont cut it.  These are the exact same types of files I was captioning before, all brought in and saved the same way.

If PSD files are showing up as unsupported it is likely that QuickTime is no longer installed on your system.  If only some PSD files don't show up then I would need to have a sample or two for my own testing.

Are all of the files that are showing up as unsupported, PSD format or are there other file types that are not working for you?

-Kirk

Offline stephenB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »
its photomechanic v4

these are all film scans saved as psd files.  some work, some dont.  they were all scanned and saved the same.  psd files are the only kind being captioned, and they open normally in photoshop.

im using mac osX

i just opened quicktime 7.1.6.  im not sure its operating properly tho.  if that is the case, it never was operating properly.  so i dont know how im having more problems now. 

thanks for your replies, im just trying to get this running so i can get to work on it.  all your help and suggestions are appreciated

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:51:22 PM »
its photomechanic v4

4.5.1.1?  What is the specific version?

Quote from: stephenB
these are all film scans saved as psd files.  some work, some dont.  they were all scanned and saved the same.  psd files are the only kind being captioned, and they open normally in photoshop.

im using mac osX

i just opened quicktime 7.1.6.  im not sure its operating properly tho.  if that is the case, it never was operating properly.  so i dont know how im having more problems now. 

thanks for your replies, im just trying to get this running so i can get to work on it.  all your help and suggestions are appreciated

I think the issue is that some of your PSD files are higher resolution than QuickTime is capable of handling.  QuickTime actually crashes Photo Mechanic under this condition so we added code in 4.5.1.1 to mark images that would otherwise cause crashes to be reported as an unsupported format variant.  It's either that or a guaranteed crash.

What are the bit-depth and size of the images that show up as unsupported?

-Kirk

Offline stephenB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:30:29 AM »
the scans are at 14 bit  and about 250mb.  is there a way around that or a possible solution?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
the scans are at 14 bit  and about 250mb.  is there a way around that or a possible solution?

The bit depth is not the problem.  It is the width and height of the image that gives QuickTime fits.  Unless Apple fixes QuickTime to load larger images without crashing or we write our own PSD renderer (no small task!) then I don't have a workaround for you.

-Kirk