Author Topic: Entering IPTC data workflow  (Read 36924 times)

Offline Jonzinator

• View Profile
Entering IPTC data workflow
« on: August 11, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »
Im curious what the recommended workflow for entering IPTC data on several hundred images.   One thing I would like to do is enter the same info on several images at once and in a particular field. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Troy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Entering IPTC data workflow
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »
Troy,

Im curious what the recommended workflow for entering IPTC data on several hundred images.   One thing I would like to do is enter the same info on several images at once and in a particular field. 

Use the IPTC Stationery Pad.  It does this sort of thing quite well.  Just fill in the fields that you want to bulk apply, and set the 'Apply' checkboxes to the left of the fields that you want to use, and uncheck the ones you don't want to apply.  Then use the "Apply Stationery" button and all of your selected images will now have the same data in the fields that you applied.  For even more power you can use Photo Mechanic's 'Image Variables' to mine the metadata out of your images and put it into your captions.

This is all explained in the manual which is available from the downloads page of our website:

http://www.camerabits.com/download/index.html

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 06:45:54 PM »
Kirk's advice is sound for when you are going enter the same data for a lot of images at the same time -- select all the files you want to update, press CTRL+I, enter the IPTC values you want (make sure the check box is on for the fields you want) and then click "Apply Stationary".

Now, if you are going to update each photo with unique data (say, a competitor number or a name), then the flow is slightly different.  I do a lot of this with my sport event photography work -- updating IPTC data for 2,000+ images for a 600-800 person 10K run is not unusual for me.  I set all the "common" IPTC data values during the ingest process so I don't have to fiddle with it later.  I then go to the first image in the contact sheet, press "I" (not CTRL+I) and get into the individual image IPTC mode (this is the one with the image shown on the right side and the IPTC data on the left).  You can then put your cursor in the field that you want to update with the competitor number and navigate to each image using the buttons under the image or the associated short-cut key.  Something I didn't notice until the last release was the ability to click on the photo and enlarge it briefly so you can look at the image closer to get the competitor's number or name.  By using the short-cut keys (ALT+[ and ALT+]), you can leave your cursor in the field being updated and then as you move from image to image, you don't have to grab the mouse to put the cursor back where you want it -- it stays in the field being updated.  Once you get the hang of this, you can fly.  I regularly do 900 to 1,200 images per hour and hope to see that improve even more with some shortcuts in 4.5.2.

Once you get the competitor number in the file, it is simple to them update other fields using IPTC Code Replacement files, but I recommend mastering the rest of IPTC first, then moving to Code Replacement.

Another piece of advice is to sit down first and make an IPTC metadata strategy.  What data are you going to store in which fields?  Sure, location, city, state, country, caption, etc are all obvious.  However, if you are shooting sports, consistently putting the game name, event code or name, competitor number, competitor name, etc., in the same fields from event to event will REALLY make it easy for you to find a photo in the future.  I still have customers asking about photos from an event I shot in April 2006 and I can find their photos while I am on the phone with them and make the sale.  I can do that because I *KNOW* the class or division name is in Supplemental Category 1 while competitor name is in Supplemental Category 3.  The overall event name is always in Source.  Others will have a different strategy, but the key is HAVING a strategy and sticking to it.  There is profit in that kind of discipline <grin>.

Good luck,

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 07:25:25 PM »
Mike,

Something I didn't notice until the last release was the ability to click on the photo and enlarge it briefly so you can look at the image closer to get the competitor's number or name.

You can use the keyboard for this too.  On Windows it is Alt-Z, and on Mac OS X it is Ctrl-Z.  The image will remain zoomed until you let up on the keys.

-Kirk

Offline Jonzinator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation.... That is exactly what I was looking for.  Time to get to adding info.

I have noticed that I have some info in keywords and some info in object name added from some older programs.  If I am going to use one field what would be best?

Also, does anyone know of any way to move data from one field to another so everything is the same.

Thanks again!!!

Troy

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 07:11:43 AM »

re: "On Windows it is Alt-Z, and on Mac OS X it is Ctrl-Z.  The image will remain zoomed until you let up on the keys."

An observation....On my XP machine:
If you hit Alt and Z together, the image zooms. Let up on the keys and the enlarged image goes away.
If you press alt, then add the Z, and then let up the Alt key, the image stays. To make the enlarged image go away you need to reverse the order of pressing keys, i.e. press Z, then press Alt, then let go of Z. (or else hit the Alt and the Z keys once more)
Keeping the enlarged image has it's uses, you can drag the IPTC window away from the enlarged image and fill in the fields while looking at larger image.
n

Offline John OHara

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »
I also do specific events. I do things similar to Fairfield Photo, but with additional data on each image. An overview of how I add multiple data items goes like this.
I start with an EXCEl file that has all the information I need, Entry#, Horse Name, Rider Name and Owner Name. I create an XML file and import it into Photo Mechanic. Having done that, I create .IPT files. This is where you select The Entry, horse , rider and owner. Then save it to an .IPT file. Now during the event as we see the same person and horse multiple times over the span of the event, ( this could be three days or as long as 17 days) I select the images and apply the .IPT file and all the information is applied to these photos. you have to invest some time with the data BEFORE the event, the application durning the event is very FAST.
This is just another way to approach the issues. You can look at my web site and see how this information applies to my clients selecting just the photos they want to see. My site is www.Johnoharaphoto.com
Now if any one who read this, has an easier way to create .IPT files tell me PLEASE. John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 11:03:34 PM »
John,

Now if any one who read this, has an easier way to create .IPT files tell me PLEASE.

I don't have a faster way to create .IPT files, but I can tell you a faster way to do the same thing without creating a .IPT file in the first place.

In the bottom left corner of the IPTC dialog is a little button with a lightning bolt icon.  This is the snapshot button.  It can save all of the contents of the IPTC dialog to an item that you can name and later with a single click reload again.

Just click on the button, choose save and then give the snapshot a name.  Later when you want to load the snapshots, just click on the button and choose the name of the item you want to reload.

Once you get a bunch of them that you don't want anymore, you can hold down a key (Option on Mac OS X, and Shift on Windows) whilst you choose the item and the Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with that item selected.  You can then delete any items you no longer want or copy them to a different location for later use.  If you removed or renamed any of the files then when you return to PM, the snapshot menu will automatically update.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 03:55:54 AM »
.  By using the short-cut keys (ALT+[ and ALT+]),

Kirk, whats the way on doing this with a german tastatur layout?
maybe its in a future version possible to set own shortcuts!
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 07:49:25 AM »

What is a "german tastatur layout"?

Do you not have square bracket keys on your keyboard?

-Kirk

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:16:13 PM »
By using the short-cut keys (ALT+[ and ALT+])
I can't make this work, can someone please elaborate.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 01:04:25 PM »

Left Alt and [ or ] should work.

-Kirk

Offline hjens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »
Left Alt and [ or ] should work.

Sorry to say it is not working on a Danish keyboards in Windows either..

Only the "[" will work by typing "Å" instead or "Ü" on German keyboards, as this is where the "[" is on US keyboard.
The Alt + "¨" is not working as Alt + ].  :(

Some keyboard layouts can be seen in this post:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1557.0
It would be nice if these short-cuts could be moved in the further versions?

Henning.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:46:48 PM by hjens »

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 11:42:50 PM »

-Kirk

Of course, I have, but we have to press AltGR +  8 or 9 ..
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 12:12:04 AM »

-Kirk

Of course, I have, but we have to press AltGR +  8 or 9 ..

That sounds like just two keystrokes just like the English keyboards, does it not?

-Kirk