Author Topic: Strange text in copyright field  (Read 7225 times)

Offline david49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Strange text in copyright field
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:55:39 PM »
Hi

Can anyone tell me why:

When i enter in the IPTC Copyright field in PM 4.5.2:
©David Rowland - All rights reserved

I get this when viewed in Photoshop CS3:

This is on Mac OS X - all latest versions of software.

Thanks

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Strange text in copyright field
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
Can anyone tell me why:

When i enter in the IPTC Copyright field in PM 4.5.2:

I get this when viewed in Photoshop CS3:

This is on Mac OS X - all latest versions of software.

Not yet.  I need more information.  What kind of file are you captioning (RAW, JPEG, etc.)?  Are you having PM create IPTC, XMP, or both?

-Kirk

Offline david49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:01:14 PM »
Thanks for response

These are TIF files. I have PM IPTC Stationery pad set up with my details and contact details and then add a caption, etc and then apply to all files selected at once. I suspect it is something to do with the copyright symbol.

Does this help/

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
David,

These are TIF files. I have PM IPTC Stationery pad set up with my details and contact details and then add a caption, etc and then apply to all files selected at once. I suspect it is something to do with the copyright symbol.

I do too.  I still need to know if you have TIFF files set to add IPTC, IPTC4XMP, or both.  The easiest thing would be for you to take a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog in Photo Mechanic.  Then post the screenshot using the "Additional Options..." button when you compose your response.  There you can upload your image.

-Kirk

Offline david49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »
thanks

here is a screen shot

David

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 07:23:03 PM »
David,

here is a screen shot

Thanks.  The only odd thing I can see is that you are only writing out IPTC4XMP yet when reading, you have PM set to read IPTC before IPTC4XMP.

Could you upload your TIFF file to our server so I can check it out?  Contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message and send me a Personal message.  I'll respond with server upload info.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline david49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:01:12 PM »
Kirk

I have sent a pm. I note that in Bridge viewing the file info, there isn't the problem and the field displays correctly. It is only when a file is opened in PS and then the file info panel called up.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:24:16 PM »
David,

I have sent a pm. I note that in Bridge viewing the file info, there isn't the problem and the field displays correctly. It is only when a file is opened in PS and then the file info panel called up.

The characters you listed do indeed appear in the XMP data.  Since you are using the IPTC Stationery Pad to add your copyright information I would like for you to save your IPTC Stationery Pad out as an XMP file (use the Save button) and upload the XMP file to our server.

I think somehow when you typed Option-G to get the copyright symbol in the IPTC Stationery Pad, you may have pressed some other characters first that are non-printable and are being included in the output.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 06:19:54 AM »
David,

The characters you listed do indeed appear in the XMP data.  Since you are using the IPTC Stationery Pad to add your copyright information I would like for you to save your IPTC Stationery Pad out as an XMP file (use the Save button) and upload the XMP file to our server.

I think somehow when you typed Option-G to get the copyright symbol in the IPTC Stationery Pad, you may have pressed some other characters first that are non-printable and are being included in the output.

I received your XMP file from the IPTC Stationery Pad.  It does indeed have two non-printable characters in it.  They can be removed by putting the cursor in the Copyright field, typing Command-A and then hit the backspace key.  Then close and reopen the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Then re-enter your copyright and close the IPTC Stationery Pad.

I'm not sure how you were able to type those characters but the text field took them and held onto them even though it did not display them.

I'll look into adding some sort of validation that removes any characters that are non-printable before loading/saving the text.

-Kirk

Offline david49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 05:06:55 PM »
Kirk

Many thanks for sorting this so quickly. It seems to have done the job.  As always, excellent support, thanks

David