Author Topic: PM generated webgallery retains .CR2 extention, plus .jpg  (Read 4975 times)

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
PM generated webgallery retains .CR2 extention, plus .jpg
« on: August 16, 2007, 02:20:25 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Situation: a PM 4.5.2 web gallery created from Canon 1DM2 raw files won't upload to my site for viewing.

History: Attempting to post image gallery for client via PM 4.5.2 on OS/X.  Upload to site using Fetch software quits, gives error: "Transfer aborted.  Input/output error".  Me thinks it may have to do with PM retaining the RAW file extention (Canon 1DM2 .cr2) in the resized image of the gallery it creates.

Fetch Transcript report says:

Transfer of 070815_0049.cr2.jpg (297,640 bytes, 74,410 bytes/sec, 0:04 elapsed) completed at 8/16/07 2:07:15 PM
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode [IP xxxxxxx].
Making data connection to [IP xxxxxx] port xxxx
STOR 070815_0054.cr2.jpg
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 070815_0054.cr2.jpg
451 Transfer aborted. Input/output error

Would welcome your counsel.

~ Craig Pulsifer
www.craigpulsifer.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM generated webgallery retains .CR2 extention, plus .jpg
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 03:06:53 PM »
Situation: a PM 4.5.2 web gallery created from Canon 1DM2 raw files won't upload to my site for viewing.

History: Attempting to post image gallery for client via PM 4.5.2 on OS/X.  Upload to site using Fetch software quits, gives error: "Transfer aborted.  Input/output error".  Me thinks it may have to do with PM retaining the RAW file extention (Canon 1DM2 .cr2) in the resized image of the gallery it creates.

Fetch Transcript report says:

Transfer of 070815_0049.cr2.jpg (297,640 bytes, 74,410 bytes/sec, 0:04 elapsed) completed at 8/16/07 2:07:15 PM
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode [IP xxxxxxx].
Making data connection to [IP xxxxxx] port xxxx
STOR 070815_0054.cr2.jpg
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 070815_0054.cr2.jpg
451 Transfer aborted. Input/output error

I don't see how the filename having two extensions would cause the transfer to fail unless the server itself doesn't allow files to be named that way.  Try taking a text file and name it like so:

test.cr2.txt

... and then upload it with Fetch.  Does it work or does it fail?  If it fails, then try renaming it to:

test.txt

... and try again.  Does that work then?

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 03:50:27 PM »
Kirk: Followed your suggestion and problem appears to originate with my server.  Will follow up with my ISP.  Thanks for your prompt reply.

I still find it odd that PM retains .cr2 extension on raw images it exports as web galleries.  Is this to be expected?

~ Craig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »
Craig,

Kirk: Followed your suggestion and problem appears to originate with my server.  Will follow up with my ISP.  Thanks for your prompt reply.

I still find it odd that PM retains .cr2 extension on raw images it exports as web galleries.  Is this to be expected?

Yes.  When you export and use the original filenames we have to take RAW filenames and append .JPG onto them (since they've become JPEGs) otherwise if you exported both a RAW and a JPEG with the same base name, then the two files would conflict if we just dropped the .cr2 and added .JPG...

This way there is no conflict and you can still use the names in the gallery to help you find the source image if a client asks about it.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:14:15 AM »
Yes.  When you export and use the original filenames we have to take RAW filenames and append .JPG onto them (since they've become JPEGs) otherwise if you exported both a RAW and a JPEG with the same base name, then the two files would conflict if we just dropped the .cr2 and added .JPG...

This way there is no conflict and you can still use the names in the gallery to help you find the source image if a client asks about it.

Kirk, I noticed this too and I simply rename the .NEF.JPG to .JPG.  However, it would be great if this wasn't necessary and that PM would automatically do this.  In case of both a NEF and a  JPG or TIF exist, the NEF should be ignored and the JPG or the TIF taken.

I guess this is yet another feature request  ;D

Cheers,
     Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl