Author Topic: renaming photos in 4.5.2  (Read 9610 times)

Offline yosemitej

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
renaming photos in 4.5.2
« on: August 16, 2007, 06:11:46 AM »
I can't rename photos in 4.5.2.  I get an error message.  Any suggestions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: renaming photos in 4.5.2
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:33:57 AM »
I can't rename photos in 4.5.2.  I get an error message.  Any suggestions?

What is your renaming string?
What is the error message?
What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline yosemitej

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:57:05 AM »
The renaming string is: DI RETIRES RECEPTION {seqn}.  I set the seqn to 001

The error message is:  An error occurred while renaming photo _MG_7952.JPG. The operation will be cancelled, and the original filenames will be restored.

I'm running OS 10.4.10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 07:04:11 AM »
The renaming string is: DI RETIRES RECEPTION {seqn}.  I set the seqn to 001

The error message is:  An error occurred while renaming photo _MG_7952.JPG. The operation will be cancelled, and the original filenames will be restored.

I'm running OS 10.4.10

Is _MG_7952.JPG the first image in the set of images that you're renaming?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:01:28 AM »
The only time I can remember getting this error, the path and filename became too long.
Note: PM uses an intermediate filename to assist in renaming (and to ensure uniqueness), and it was this intermediate path+filename that was too long.  Funny thing was, PM could not even rename the files back to their original names (something that it nicely does if it fails).  Once the names had become too long, Windows plain refused to do anything with them (not even manually or on the command-line), you can't even open them anymore!  The solution was to rename a directory on the path to something smaller and the rename the offending files.  Phew...

Another thing that may cause rename to fail, of course is that you do not have enough permissions to do so.

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline yosemitej

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:37:59 AM »
_MG.xxxx.jpeg is the name for all the files.  That doesn't appear to be to long.  I also thought about permissions and have checked.  They seem to be in order.

...I tried renaming photos on my laptop version of 4.5.2 and no problem at all.  So I'm dealing with some bug in my tower.
I matched permissions in both machines but same result.  Now what?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:11:24 AM by yosemitej »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »
_MG.xxxx.jpeg is the name for all the files.  That doesn't appear to be to long.  I also thought about permissions and have checked.  They seem to be in order.

...I tried renaming photos on my laptop version of 4.5.2 and no problem at all.  So I'm dealing with some bug in my tower.
I matched permissions in both machines but same result.  Now what?

Again: Is _MG_7952.JPG the first image in the set of images that you're renaming?

-Kirk

Offline yosemitej

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:20:58 AM »
_MG_7950.JPG is the first image in the set.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:29:04 AM »
_MG_7950.JPG is the first image in the set.

If you use the Finder, can you rename that file manually?

-Kirk

Offline yosemitej

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:58:34 AM »
Not easily.  I had to open the image in PS3, rename.  I couldn't save it to the folder it came from. Saved to the desktop then tried to drag it to the folder.  I then had to enter my computer password to authenticate the move.  The renamed image then transfered to the original folder.  I placed in first in the contact sheet and tried to rename all the files.  Nope.  I'm thinking this may not be a PM problem, more likely a computer software issue.  Quite often I even have to enter an authentication password just to get a file into the trash.  Renaming files in the previous version of PM was not a problem.  When I upgraded to 4.5.2 and tried to drag the new version into my applications folder it wouldn't go.  I had to first drag the older version to the trash then manually drag the upgrade version into app folder.  The new version opens fine and seems to work for most tasks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
Not easily.  I had to open the image in PS3, rename.  I couldn't save it to the folder it came from. Saved to the desktop then tried to drag it to the folder.  I then had to enter my computer password to authenticate the move.  The renamed image then transfered to the original folder.  I placed in first in the contact sheet and tried to rename all the files.  Nope.  I'm thinking this may not be a PM problem, more likely a computer software issue.  Quite often I even have to enter an authentication password just to get a file into the trash.  Renaming files in the previous version of PM was not a problem.  When I upgraded to 4.5.2 and tried to drag the new version into my applications folder it wouldn't go.  I had to first drag the older version to the trash then manually drag the upgrade version into app folder.  The new version opens fine and seems to work for most tasks.

If you right-click (ctrl-click if you have a one button mouse) on the photo and Get Info, look at the bottom and see what the permissions are and who owns the file.  Does it seem reasonable?  Do the same for the parent folder.

It sounds like a permissions issue to me.

-Kirk

Offline yosemitej

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:38:38 AM »
The issue WAS permissions for the parent folder.  Thanks for your thoughts.