Author Topic: Trial PM v4.5.1 and v4.5.2 hang when using ratings  (Read 5105 times)

Offline browsing

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Trial PM v4.5.1 and v4.5.2 hang when using ratings
« on: August 18, 2007, 11:43:20 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Support asked me to post this to the forum as they haven't been able to help me resolve this issue, including uninstalling, resetting the registry keys, and installing a new version (4.5.2).  I am running Windows XP SP2 with 1.5GB of RAM.  My issue has been that PM hangs when setting ratings (color or stars) from the large preview window.  You must use task manager to kill the application.  This happens constantly not occassionally.  I really like PM, but having worked with support on this for over a month with no resolution, I am about ready to purchase a competitive product, however I am willing to give this one last try because I like PM's functionality so much.  If you have any suggestions please let me know soon.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Trial PM v4.5.1 and v4.5.2 hang when using ratings
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:01:39 PM »
Mark,

Support asked me to post this to the forum as they haven't been able to help me resolve this issue, including uninstalling, resetting the registry keys, and installing a new version (4.5.2).  I am running Windows XP SP2 with 1.5GB of RAM.  My issue has been that PM hangs when setting ratings (color or stars) from the large preview window.  You must use task manager to kill the application.  This happens constantly not occassionally.  I really like PM, but having worked with support on this for over a month with no resolution, I am about ready to purchase a competitive product, however I am willing to give this one last try because I like PM's functionality so much.  If you have any suggestions please let me know soon.

I would be glad to try and help you but I need much more information.  What kind of files are you rating?  JPEGs, RAW files, PSD, TIFF, etc.?  Are you using the mouse or keyboard shortcut keys?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 01:39:03 AM »
Mark,

This sure sounds like you are having some sort of issue with your Operating System.  Do other programs behave strange as well?

Maybe a complete reinstall of the OS is in order...

Sorry can't offer you any more help at the moment,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline browsing

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 07:31:33 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm browsing RAW files and using the mouse.  I'm having no other issues with any other applications, including Lightroom, Photoshop and many plug-ins.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 09:52:40 AM »
Mark,

I'm browsing RAW files and using the mouse.  I'm having no other issues with any other applications, including Lightroom, Photoshop and many plug-ins.

Specifically, what kind of RAW files are you working with?  CR2, NEF, etc.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:45:05 PM »

I worked with Mark to find out what was going wrong.  It turned out that he had an old version of QuickTime installed which was failing to complete the loading of Photoshop PSD files.  This was clogging up the caching system and would prevent certain threads from being able to complete their operations.

I have added a warning to PM (which will only show itself once) when the QuickTime version is too old, and disable the use of QuickTime entirely in that case.

This should eliminate Mark's problem (installing the most recent version of QuickTime also solved the problem) and should keep anyone else from experiencing it as well.

The side effect of this is that if you want to view PSD files in PM you will have to have a recent version of QuickTime installed or PSD files will appear to be unsupported.

-Kirk