Author Topic: Dual monitors/displays  (Read 6321 times)

Offline Shrub

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Dual monitors/displays
« on: August 23, 2007, 06:57:38 AM »
I have two displays attached to my Mac running OS x 10.4.9 and PM 4.5.2. Can I set the contact sheets to open in the second display rather than always opening in the main display?

Thank in advance
Al

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Dual monitors/displays
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:19:51 AM »
Al,

I have two displays attached to my Mac running OS x 10.4.9 and PM 4.5.2. Can I set the contact sheets to open in the second display rather than always opening in the main display?

No, it appears that one cannot do that.  If you do move a Contact Sheet window to your second monitor and keep it open, you can get additional top-level windows to open on your second monitor.

I recently added a second monitor to my Mac.  I'll see what I can do to make PM more second monitor-friendly.

-Kirk

Offline Shrub

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 01:02:22 AM »
You are a gentleman, thank-you!

Al

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:33:17 AM »
I recently added a second monitor to my Mac.  I'll see what I can do to make PM more second monitor-friendly.

IMHO, one of the best things that could be done "to make PM more second monitor-friendly" would be to make the Preview window non-modal. Currently (at least in the Windows version), I can move the Preview window to my second monitor, and it will remember this positioning the next time it is opened. However, it should be non-modal and allow for the following...

(1) Changes to color-class, star rating and tag status should be reflected in the contact sheet when made in the Preview window (and vice-versa).

(2) There should be a toggle-style option that would "link" the currently selected image in the current Contact Sheet and current image in the Preview window. When this linking is enabled, as one steps though images in the Preview window the selected image in the Contact Sheet should change. Likewise, select an image in the Contact Sheet and the Preview window should jumping straight to that image. We could easily use full-screen mode for the Preview Window and select the image to review with the Contact Sheet. Making this "link" optional should avoid problems with the standard behaviour of the Contact Sheet that allows selecting multiple images, etc.

-Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 08:36:16 AM »
Ian,

IMHO, one of the best things that could be done "to make PM more second monitor-friendly" would be to make the Preview window non-modal. Currently (at least in the Windows version), I can move the Preview window to my second monitor, and it will remember this positioning the next time it is opened. However, it should be non-modal and allow for the following...

(1) Changes to color-class, star rating and tag status should be reflected in the contact sheet when made in the Preview window (and vice-versa).

(2) There should be a toggle-style option that would "link" the currently selected image in the current Contact Sheet and current image in the Preview window. When this linking is enabled, as one steps though images in the Preview window the selected image in the Contact Sheet should change. Likewise, select an image in the Contact Sheet and the Preview window should jumping straight to that image. We could easily use full-screen mode for the Preview Window and select the image to review with the Contact Sheet. Making this "link" optional should avoid problems with the standard behaviour of the Contact Sheet that allows selecting multiple images, etc.

There are some fundamental design issues to be hurdled in order to do what you're requesting.  If it were easy, I would have done it long ago.

This rewrite is a version 5 planned feature.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »
There are some fundamental design issues to be hurdled in order to do what you're requesting.  If it were easy, I would have done it long ago.
This rewrite is a version 5 planned feature.

Yeah, re-designing a modal window such as the Preview window into a non-modal window I would expect to be a large undertaking. In fact, I realized this was discussed a bit a while back on the forums and knew it might be a while before it was implemented. However, now that you have multiple monitors on your desk, I imagine that you may have a greater interested in seeing it implemented.  I've been using a dual monitor setup for years -- originally specifically for coding and debugging -- but at this point, I don't know how I ever lived without it.

-Ian

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:21:17 PM »
Kirk,

I am glad this will be addressed in v5 as I find the modal design rather dated.  I also just added a second monitor and PM does not really take advantage of it.

So v5 will have a new UI, stacks, cataloguing, and voice recognition  ;)

Deven

Offline jennydemarco

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
I will be looking into this feature in version 5. Is there an expected release date?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
I will be looking into this feature in version 5. Is there an expected release date?

No, but when we get a version of 4.6.x that runs properly on Apple's new Mac OS X 10.7, we'll be right back on it, working as hard as we can.

-Kirk