Author Topic: Different color in PM 4.4.3.3 and ARC 4.1  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Dominik Pluess

• View Profile
Different color in PM 4.4.3.3 and ARC 4.1
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:48:20 AM »
Hi, I have different colors in PM 4.4.3.3  and ARC 4.1. Each has a Adobe 1998 setting.
In PM there is more contrast and or a little bit darker. How can I set that?

kind regars

wallace

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Different color in PM 4.4.3.3 and ARC 4.1
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:56:10 AM »
Wallace,

If I see this correctly, you are viewing a RAW file.  PM uses the embedded (as shot) JPG to show you the image.  ACR on the other hand uses it's own rendering engine to re-render all RAW data, using it's own settings.  Hence the difference.  Apart from tweaking ACR to resemble the as shot image, there is nothing you can do about this.

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Different color in PM 4.4.3.3 and ARC 4.1
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »

Hayo is right, in PM you view the embedded JPEG preview made by the camera, according to your in-camera settings and Canon's colour engine. ACR, on the other hand, not having a way to render the file according to Canon's algorithms, uses its own, Adobe's, engine.

Just do not mind the slight difference. You are after all editing the RAW file, so the output will be different from both starting points. You could of course use Canon's own software, DPP, which would render the file exactly as it was shot (and exact same as the embedded JPEG), but I guess you have a reason to prefer ACR over DPP (which came with your camera after all).

Think of it as different developers, just as with film. Every software looks a bit different.