Author Topic: Photo Mechanic and gmail  (Read 6843 times)

Offline tourist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic and gmail
« on: August 23, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »
Anyway to get PM to email pictures from gmail? 

Offline gajones

• View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic and gmail
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
What you can do is to setup Gmail for POP Access, which allows you to use your Gmail account with an email-client such as Apple Mail or Outlook Express.

More info here.

I've been using the beta version of Mailplane, the mac gmail client. It would be nice to have support for this in Photo Mechanic.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »
What you can do is to setup Gmail for POP Access, which allows you to use your Gmail account with an email-client such as Apple Mail or Outlook Express.

More info here.

I've been using the beta version of Mailplane, the mac gmail client. It would be nice to have support for this in Photo Mechanic.

Does Mailplane support AppleScript to the extent that it allows creation of an email and the ability to attach images?  This would all have to be done via AppleScript in order for me to support that email client on Mac OS X.

-Kirk

Offline tourist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:38:43 PM »

More info here.

problem is that I use Outlook (Exchange) in the office.  There seems to be no way to tell PM which email client to use even though I have Outlook Express configured to use gmail.  I keep setting Outlook Express as the default but for some reason Outlook resets the default to itself every time it runs.  It would great is PM would allow me to set the SMTP settings in its config.....

Offline gajones

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 02:13:36 AM »
See if this solves the problem (I assume you're using Windows XP) - go to the Control Panel, Open "Add or Remove Programs" and click on "Set Program Access and Defaults" on the left hand side.

Go into the custom settings and set Outlook Express as the default. Uncheck the "allow access" options on everything except Outlook Express.

Offline gajones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »

More info here.

Does Mailplane support AppleScript to the extent that it allows creation of an email and the ability to attach images?  This would all have to be done via AppleScript in order for me to support that email client on Mac OS X.

-Kirk

Kirk,

here's what I got back from the Mailplane developer:

Currently there is only AppleScript support for opening mailto URLs. This
isn't enough to create an email with attachments. (I may add this in a
future release).

There is a simpler way that works today, though:
- Create a temporary folder
- Put all files you like to attach into this folder
- Open the folder with Mailplane

As a result Mailplane will compose a new message and attach all files in the
folder.