Author Topic: Showing uncompressed size in contact sheet  (Read 5246 times)

Offline LN

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Showing uncompressed size in contact sheet
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »
Hello out there,
Anyway to show the uncompressed size of jpg under the images in a contact sheet?
I put the variable for size in label 1, which gives me the size of the jpg. But I'd like to see also the final size of the image, once uncompressed. In other words, I'd like to see for example under image "test.jpg" 2.8MB (given by {size}) and 48.4MB (which is the file size uncompressed, open in photoshop or whatever).
Any way to do that? Did I miss a variable I could use?
Would be most useful for checking the jpg I ftp to agencies will produce the required size when un-jpged (is that a verb?).
Thanks.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Showing uncompressed size in contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:59:51 AM »
Hmm, I don't think this is currently there; {size} is simply the filesize.  There is, however also a setting that gives you the number of pixels in the image: {pixels}
This is not exactly what you want/need but doing some mind arithmetic you should be able to get there ;)  (simply multiply by 3 for 8 bit images or 6 for 16 bit images).

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline LN

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 05:07:15 AM »
Thanks Hayo,
But on typical batches (100-200 images) it would be very useful to see at a glance the decompressed size.
Images have to be a minimum of 48Mb or will be rejected.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 06:00:11 AM »
Understood.  However, if it is only for the selection of shots that fall under the 48MB size, you can simply select all the ones that have more than 8M Pixels (6x8=48, assuming 16 bit colour depth).

I must say it is a weird way of saying that they want at images taken with at least an 8MP camera.  And it also means you can't send in JPGs at all; JPGs only have a colour depth of 8bit, and I don't think they'd only want images taken by 16MP cameras ;)

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline AaronKuehn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:47:45 AM »
I would like to add my two cents that being able to see the uncompressed size would be very useful.

I work at a newspaper and we have many people who receive images from the public via e-mail.  We don't want to provide a full-blown image editor like Photoshop to these folks (too much money and too much training required!).  But we want them to be able to see at a glance if they're about to drop a 500-MB image into our production system. 

Feature request :)
Aaron Kuehn
Applications Solutions Analyst
The Virginian-Pilot
150 West Brambleton Ave.
Norfolk, VA 23510
(757)-446-2734
Aaron.Kuehn@pilotonline.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:12:46 PM »
I would like to add my two cents that being able to see the uncompressed size would be very useful.

I work at a newspaper and we have many people who receive images from the public via e-mail.  We don't want to provide a full-blown image editor like Photoshop to these folks (too much money and too much training required!).  But we want them to be able to see at a glance if they're about to drop a 500-MB image into our production system. 

We could add a {variable} that would show the in-memory size of the image.  You could then use it in the Contact Sheet thumbnail label of your choice, or put it into the Info Text.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 10:58:33 PM »
Kirk,

We could add a {variable} that would show the in-memory size of the image.  You could then use it in the Contact Sheet thumbnail label of your choice, or put it into the Info Text.

-Kirk

I would be very interested in that too. Any idea whether you can add that in the upcomming 4.5.3 release?

In case it's there already, then I can't find it.

Thanks,
Juerg