Author Topic: iviewmedaipro/pm 5-star rating system compatability  (Read 19649 times)

Offline Tim_Reynold

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
iviewmedaipro/pm 5-star rating system compatability
« on: May 29, 2006, 11:38:41 AM »
I am using PM 4.4.3 for browsing and iviewmediapro 3 for cataloging.  It seems the initial color tags(select, seconds,...transmitted photos) I set with PM don't transfer
to iviemediapro.  Will 4.5 write color/rank tags Bridge/Ivmp will recognize?    Is there a workaround for version 4.4.3.  I love the speed of PM and the cataloging power of Ivmp3. 

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iviewmedaipro/pm 5-star rating system compatability
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 12:24:04 PM »
I am using PM 4.4.3 for browsing and iviewmediapro 3 for cataloging.  It seems the initial color tags(select, seconds,...transmitted photos) I set with PM don't transfer
to iviemediapro.  Will 4.5 write color/rank tags Bridge/Ivmp will recognize?    Is there a workaround for version 4.4.3.  I love the speed of PM and the cataloging power of Ivmp3.

I plan to add a 5-star rating system, which I will definitely make Bridge compatible.  Is iView Media Pro compatible with Bridge's rating system?  Do the colored labels in Bridge show up in iView Media Pro?

-Kirk

Offline euph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • dennisandersen.dk
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
iView Media Pro does use the Bridge rating system, but not the color-labels.

And the rating compatibility would indeed be a very welcomed feature  :D

Kind regards,
Dennis
Dennis Skærup Højlund Andersen<br />http://dennisandersen.dk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 05:30:56 AM »
I would welcome a Bridge/iView compatible 5 Star rating system too. Please!

Offline roysmyth

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 06:05:55 AM »
Me too!

I use Photo Mechanic for ingest and adding IPTC info, Bridge/Camera Raw/Photoshop for editing and printing, and iView for cataloging. As it is now, I can't rate anything until I reach Bridge. I would much ather do my initial rating in Photo Mechanic, but it is wasted effort if it isn't compatible with the other applications.

For me, this is an urgent issue.

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:36:42 PM »
For me, this is an urgent issue.

24 hours ago I would have agreed.   And I still think I agree.   But with Microsoft's acquistion of Iview.... I can't decide if its more urgent or less urgent, and I won't know that for years!    So I guess its still urgent. 

Untill about a month ago, PM was my cataloging app... but my images will no longer fit on my drives, and I'm increaslingly haveing trouble finding things. (I'm not sure that is a software problem, or an age-related problem).  In any case I'm needin to add a cataloging app to the workflow.   Iview is the one I chose.  I guess Microsoft likes it too.

Ron

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 03:54:07 AM »
Ron,

Camera Bits have considered adding a database to Photo Mechanic. The times seems right.

-- Robert.

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 04:19:56 AM »
I am not sure if I want PM to turn into a browser/RAW converter/cataloging app.
I would be afraid  of it becoming slower at its main function as a browser and IPTC adding app. for me.

But with iView now joining the Evil Empire i might be looking for a new cataloging software :-\

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 06:08:03 AM »
I am not sure if I want PM to turn into a browser/RAW converter/cataloging app.
I would be afraid  of it becoming slower at its main function as a browser and IPTC adding app. for me.

But with iView now joining the Evil Empire i might be looking for a new cataloging software :-\

Please understand that we would never allow cataloging to slow down the browsing side of Photo Mechanic.  While cataloging, Photo Mechanic's speed would be affected in the same way as if you had another external application (like iView, Portfolio, etc.) doing cataloging at the time.  Adding files to a catalog of course takes time, but you would have to instruct Photo Mechanic to add the files to the catalog which would be done as a background task and would not interrupt the rest of your workflow.  Unless you had your system actively adding files to a catalog, the Ingesting/Browsing/Previewing side of Photo Mechanic would not be affected.  Cataloging is not a free operation but we would minimize its impact as much as possible.

We haven't decided to create a cataloging feature yet.  And if we do create one, it may be a separate app that is tightly integrated with Photo Mechanic but not built into Photo Mechanic.  That part remains to be worked out.

We would be happy to hear from our customers if such ideas are welcome.  We want Photo Mechanic to be useful to our users and at this point (and in the light of recent acquisitions) it looks more and more like we should add a solution to the management side of digital photography.  What features are important to you when choosing a cataloging solution?

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 06:24:07 AM »
Let's not jump the gun here... I think all we need right now is compatibility with Iview's 5 star ratings.  (Iview also has color tags, but I don't use them.   They seem to be oriented to production status rather than ratings) 

I don't think we will see anything significant from microsoft before summer 2007.   And as I've stated here, http://www.prophotocommunity.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=425091, its my opinion that MS plans to turn Iview code base and thinking into a mass market product to compete with Adobe's PS Elements, and Google's picassa.   

As has been stated perfectly well elsewhere, one of Iview's great strengths is its ability to export the metadata.   The problem is that there are no other applications that can import the best of it.    So a close look at that exported data is where I'd look were I to be thinking about creating a new application for photo cataloging.

Ron

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 10:01:18 AM »
Thanks Kirk,
I am convinced with my knowledge to PM that you will do everything possible to stay ahead in your effort to keep PM fast.
Right now I ingest to my PB and to my external drive and have iView cataloging the external drive via folder updating. That doesn't seem to slow down PM.

Now with all the aqcuistions this week ( Adobe / Pixmantec and Microsoft/iView) I only hope that PM stay  an independent software developer  :-*

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 06:01:42 PM »
Thanks Kirk,
I am convinced with my knowledge to PM that you will do everything possible to stay ahead in your effort to keep PM fast.
Right now I ingest to my PB and to my external drive and have iView cataloging the external drive via folder updating. That doesn't seem to slow down PM.

Now with all the aqcuistions this week ( Adobe / Pixmantec and Microsoft/iView) I only hope that PM stay  an independent software developer  :-*

That's the plan!

-Kirk

Offline MJL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.mjlawler.net
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 08:12:54 AM »
Well that’s good to hear Kirk... 8) I was wondering who would be next ;)

Anyway you can add me to the list a people that think it would be a plus to have a 5-star rating system compatible with Bridge. Heck even have the color rating system compatible with Bridge, would be even more of a plus... ;)

And I say compatible with Bridge, because it seems all or most of the cataloging software now is capable of reading the bridge ratings. So it be safe to say if PM had them, then programs like iView can read them too.

On the cataloging part, maybe instead of hmm hijacking or OT’ing this thread we should start another one? This way everyone can list what the feel is important for cataloging software. I know everyone here has a bit different needs for this type of software so.

rgrds,
Michael
da site: www.mjlawler.net

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 09:47:38 AM »
Well that’s good to hear Kirk... 8) I was wondering who would be next ;)

Anyway you can add me to the list a people that think it would be a plus to have a 5-star rating system compatible with Bridge. Heck even have the color rating system compatible with Bridge, would be even more of a plus... ;)

And I say compatible with Bridge, because it seems all or most of the cataloging software now is capable of reading the bridge ratings. So it be safe to say if PM had them, then programs like iView can read them too.

On the cataloging part, maybe instead of hmm hijacking or OT’ing this thread we should start another one? This way everyone can list what the feel is important for cataloging software. I know everyone here has a bit different needs for this type of software so.

Robert Edwards already started the thread here.

-Kirk